Can not edit filters that I own

Erin Blomert January 28, 2021

I have created a bunch of filters for my next-gen projects and dashboards.  When I go to edit them, however, it often only allows me to save as, stating:

"This filter was created by [me]. You can save a copy of this filter but you cannot modify the original."

I am a site admin so I do not think it is a permission issue.  Can someone shed some light?

Edit: I do not want to just "save as" the filter under a new name, I want to edit the current one so my dashboard widgets still pull it.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

Hi Erin, one thing to be aware of and maybe you are and this is going down the wrong path....

when you select a filter you will only see "Save as" until such that as you make the change AND click the search (or hit CR). Once you do that you should be able to see Save option.

if that still doesn't resolve it LMK

Hi, Thanks for your response!

I had noticed that with changing the search, but what I wanted to do was change the columns shown.   After playing with it and getting a tester, I realized that probably saves automatically.   I feel silly but at least now the question is here for others to find.

Like elizabeth_lavely likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

No problem we all had to learn the same thing. 😉

Like elizabeth_lavely likes this
Erin Blomert May 19, 2021

@Jack Brickey 

Long shot replying to here 6 months later... but something has changed and I am having the same problem again.  

Now I can edit a filter, click search, and am once again unable to update my filter.  The "save as" never does change to "save", even after searching.

The pop up now looks like this:image.png

Any advice?  I want to update this filter without having to make a new one and go change my dashboards.

Thanks!

Erin

Erin Blomert May 19, 2021

image.png

Hmmm, can't edit columns either (even though I own this filter...).

Christy Bailey August 19, 2023

@Jack Brickey, I too cannot edit/save any filters I own besides what's contained under the Details tab. 

Except:

1. When I alter the values of the dropdowns in the original fields.  And/Or,
  2. If I add a new field to the filter, I must select at least one value from the new field.

It doesn't seem to be tied to whether or not the Search is rerun.  The Edited/Save presents as soon as any of the dropdown values are modified.  I'm not sure if this is as designed. I think most users would agree that we should be able to Save the filter at any time, regardless if there are changes, if we are the owner of the filter.  Just like if we are using the Switch to JQL option.

Repro:

1. Created and saved a new filter.
    • A new filter was created.
  2. From the Main Menu, selected Filters > View all filters.
    • A list of all filters was displayed.
  3. Selected me as the Owner, Christy Bailey.
    • A list of all of the filters I own was displayed.
      • Owner = Christy Bailey, Viewers = My Organization, Editors = Private
  4. Selected any of the filters I own.
    • A window with the name of the selected filter, Option to Save as, and Details were presented.
  5. Edited the search criteria by adding the Resolution field without selecting any criteria from the available list.  Clicked Search.
    • Only the option to Save As is available.
  6. Hit the enter key 20 times, as suggested by another in this thread.  I also tried to click the refresh button on the browser and the Search button multiple times.  Still, only Save As is available, with no dropdown to select Save.
  7. Click on Save As.  Receive "This filter was created by Christy Bailey.  You can save a copy of this filter but you cannot modify the original."
  8. Selected Cancel.
    • The added Resolution field remained, as well as the rest of the fields.
    • Save as was the only available option.
  9. Selected a value from the new field that I added, Resolution.
    • Edited and Save were available!
  10. I played around with altering the values of the original fields, and the Edited/Save is presented every time, regardless if I rerun the Search or not. 
  11. Also, when new fields are added to the filter, at least one value must be selected to (re)Save the filter.
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2023

Hi @Christy Bailey ,

I followed you thru #4.

In #5 you indicate you "the Resolution field without selecting any criteria from the available list.  Clicked Search. If I understand you then your edited JQL might look like below. The Bold represents the original filter that works as expected.

project = abc and assignee = jack and Resolution 

now if you hit return or click search you should receive an error for invalid JQL since you did not specify and operator and value, e.g. = "won't do".

Now, if you complete the JQL then you should then be able to "save" or choose "save as".

Christy Bailey August 19, 2023

Thanks, @Jack Brickey. There's a lot of info there, so let me see if I can clarify.  

#5 should have said I added another field by using the + More option in Basic mode.  In particular, I added the Resolution field without selecting any criteria from the available list.   It defaults to All.  And only the Save as is available.

Because I did not select anything from the dropdown of the new field, Resolution, in this example, it did not alter the JQL. 

JQL before and after:

project = GATESSPT19 AND issuetype = Bug AND "Epic Link" = GATESSPT19-2679 ORDER BY resolution DESC, status DESC, summary ASC, priority DESC

When I select something from the new field, for example, Unresolved, the JQL does change, and the Save/Edited displays:

project = GATESSPT19 AND issuetype = Bug AND resolution = Unresolved AND "Epic Link" = GATESSPT19-2679 ORDER BY resolution DESC, status DESC, summary ASC, priority DESC

However, what I'm attempting to do is add the Resolution field without anything preselected.  This way, the user can have all, in this case, bugs and narrow down the resolution if/when necessary.

It appears as though the only time Jira will present the Save/Edited option is when there is at least one value is selected from any of the fields being used in the filter.  Otherwise, the filter cannot be saved. 

Also, I thought I found a way to trick Jira into saving the Resolution field as NULL/All, but I was wrong:

Repro:

1. Selected the filter from above.
  2. Clicked on +More.
  3. Added the field Resolution.
    • Still, Save as.
  4. Selected Unresolved.
    • The Save/Edited appeared.
  5. Saved the filter.
    • Save as appears again
  6. In the (new) Resolution field, I clicked the down arrow caret.
  7. Unchecked Unresolved.
    • Save appears again.
  8. Clicked on Save.
  9. Received the message, "The filter ALL Ag One BUGS has been successfully saved." 
    • The Resolution field is still displayed as saved in the filter without anything selected to default All.
  10. Went back and re-searched for the same filter.
  11. The filter did not save the Resolution field.

I was doing everything using the Basic function.  I only referenced the Switch to JQL to illustrate what I think the expected behavior should be.  And that was, I thought the Save option presented regardless of whether you changed something or not.  But I realize now that that is incorrect.  Indeed JQL will only present the Save option if you type anything into the field.  So please disregard that note.

I guess the crux of the issue is, is there a way to:

1. Save a filter with fields that do not have anything selected, and
  2. Have Save always be available, regardless if anything changes or not, if you are the owner. 
    • However, this may be as designed if Jira isn't going to save the changes that the user is trying to make.  In my case, adding the Resolution field without a pre-selected value.
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2023

Hi @Christy Bailey ,

indeed if you do not change the filter then you will not be presented with an option to save, or save as sense no change was actually made. Please note that simply selecting a field from the more option in basic mode does not actually change the filter until such time that you choose a value. It seems like what you were actually trying to do is change the default fields presented to you and other users. I'm not sure exactly why that is your goal if indeed it is. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot alter the default fields that are presented in Basic mode.

Christy Bailey August 21, 2023

Thanks @Jack Brickey.  After I went through the above, I finally realized that that was what was happening.

I understand why selecting a field (in Basic mode by using the + More function) AND not selecting a value in a new field does not change the filter from a technical standpoint (it does not change the JQL query).  But it does literally change the filter, from a user's point of view, IMHO.

As you imply, I am trying to add a new field with the default of All, and therefore (again, IMHO) should be able to save it.  Just like "the default fields presented" of Project, Type, Status, and Assignee; they all allow the default of All; no selected values are required. 

The reason I'm trying to do this, and likely other's too, is probably the same as why Jira allows "All" for the aforementioned fields.  The team that I have created the filters (23 in all) will be changing the value(s) of that particular field (Resolution in my case) quite often.  I don't want them to have to add the field, then select the value(s) each time they use the filter, which is also quite often.

I'm guessing from your answer that this is as designed, and will not change. If so, please allow me to offer a few suggestions as I think this is confusing others too.

1. Modify your original response to Erin on January 28th, 2021, with suggested verbiage in bold "Hi Erin, one thing to be aware of and maybe you are and this is going down the wrong path....when you select a filter you will only see "Save as" until such that as you make the change to at least one of the selection criteria in the existing dropdown(s).    AND click the search (or hit CR).  Once you do that you should be able to see Save option."
  2. In my testing Search, Enter or any other way a user re-executes the filter/query is not required.  Save is enabled when any change is made to the selection criteria.  Please check my logic here.
  3. The only fields that can be saved to a filter with All as a default are Project, Type, Status, and Assignee.  Therefore "Save as", even if you are the owner, will be the only option available. AND, even if you "Save as" the filter under a new name, the new field will not be saved if the default is All.  You must select at least one value in order for the new field to be saved to the filter.

Thanks so much, Jack!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2023

Hi @Erin Blomert , just to be clear, I do not work for Atlassian and do not therefore have any influence over how they implement things. Other than the occasional opportunity where I provide feedback on new implementations. With that said, I would recommend you use the Feedback link inside the app to share your thoughts with Atlassian directly.

Cheers!

Erin Blomert August 21, 2023

Hiya @Jack Brickey , I think you might have been trying to ping someone else :)

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Christy Bailey August 21, 2023

@Jack Brickey cc @Erin Blomert .  I did not realize you did not work for Atlassian.  Thanks for letting me know.  I did use the feedback option in Jira, as you suggested.  Thanks for your help.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Adrian.Hamza August 31, 2023

I had the same issue, it was related to permissions but I think it's a Jira bug. I created the filter, so I'm the onwer, I gave edit permissions to another User and after that I could not "Save" the jira filter, I could only do "Save As". I went back and also gave my self permissions explicitly, which then fixed this problem. 

0 votes
Eugene Eng August 12, 2021

I managed to resolve this by doing the following:

1. Go to your saved filter
  2. Modify your query
  3. Execute your query by clicking Search
  4. If the save option is still "Save As", go to the browser URL and hit enter to reload the page
  5. Do Step #4 until the save option changes from "Save As" to "Save"

This workaround has resolved this issue for me.

Christel Gray August 12, 2021

Thank you! I have a couple of end users having this issue. I'll pass this on to them to see if it helps.

Rick Cosse September 9, 2021

To add onto this...after editing the query, then running 'Search', the initial 'Save As' button will change to a 'Save' button. Alongside the 'Save' button will be a dropdown with the option to 'Save As'. A very hidden flow with only 1 point of entry. Not obvious. Thank you @Eugene Eng for the step through

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 4.51.16 PM.png

Derek Jackson August 21, 2023

Wow, thank you. I've been trying to sort this out for an hour now. Not sure why this is still an issue *2 years later* but I appreciate you figuring it out. 

0 votes

Edit: Meant to post this in response to Jack

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

I am not run into this. Either you truly don’t know in the filter you having to be looking at or possibly a bug. If you’re quite confident that you do and the filter then I would contact Atlassian support to have them investigate. To test if you are in the filter can you click on the details link at the top and edit permissions or subscriptions etc.?

Erin Blomert May 20, 2021

I 100% own the filter!

Out of frustration, I shut everything down and reopened and after doing that, it started to work.  It's almost like it gets "stuck" somehow.

Helena Hamilton June 22, 2022

Cosigning with Erin. I'm having the same issue with filters I created and own. I modify it, click search, like what I see, and then want to save it, but I can't because it's not an option. The message acknowledges that I created the filter, it's almost like Jira thinks someone else is logged in and sitting at the keyboard.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

@Helena Hamilton ,

some screenshots of what you're experiencing might be helpful here.

Erin Blomert June 23, 2022

I haven't had this problem for awhile now!

One thing that tricked me up a lot was learning that changes to the columns are immediate and don't need to be saved... so I was trying to "Save" and it still would not give me the option because Jira did not think anything new had happened.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events