Can JIRA org admin force to apply a permission scheme to any newly created "team-managed" projects?

hichimi June 2, 2023

Hi, I am an admin of atlassian products in our company.

Recently, we had a couple cases that some teams invited external users to our Jira projects.

I had configured a default permission scheme where I replaced "Any logged in user" to the group which all of our internal users automatically join.

I recognized that those new external users still could view some projects where they were not supposed to have the permission, and figured out that those projects were all "team-managed" projects.

There is no "permissions" menu in the "Project setting" in those "team-managed" projects, but "Access" which do not provide the "permission scheme" settings.

Questions,

1. Do the "team-managed" projects offer a capability of this "permission scheme" configurations? If Yes, where can I change it?
  2. Can admin configure the default permission scheme for those "team-managed" projects?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2023

Team-managed projects do not use permission schemes, the access is handled in the roles and users settings for the project.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2023

Adding to this...

More information can be found here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/next-gen-permissions/

There are change requests for being able to set a default Access value for newly created Team Managed projects.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-80472

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18478

Beyond the access level, as Nic said the permissions are managed by Roles. There are three roles defined by default that are applied to all new Team Managed projects when they are created. I have not found any information about being able to change the template for those three roles.

And since Team Managed projects are meant to be stand-alone, any changes you make to the permissions in those roles or any new roles you make in one Team Managed project are not shareable with other Team Managed projects.

Like hichimi likes this
hichimi June 4, 2023

yikes...

Can't believe why the Atlassian's product team leaves this as is.

Thank you for your responses, @Trudy Claspill and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I will probably need to either to stop using "team-managed" projects or to change the privacy setting of each projects as they get created.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

They do it because team-managed projects are supposed to be managed by the project team, not the global admins.  It's one of the points of having team-managed projects!

I personally don't think team-managed projects are ready for larger "enterprise" customers, and they won't be until they can be configured with schemes, which will probably never happen.

Suggest an answer