Can I use a custom field from a classic project in a next-gen project?

Chetan Singh June 1, 2020

This is actually getting quite annoying because when I am trying to create a custom filter/search, I see a field with the same name n times in the 'columns' list depending on how many next-gen projects are using the same field name. There is no indication of which field belongs to which project so no way for me to know.

The field names could probably have been auto-suffixed with the project key in the columns list.

Any suggested workarounds?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2020

Hello @Chetan Singh

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to share the same custom field (From a Classic or Next-gen project) between multiple Next-gen projects.

This behavior happens because the architecture of Next-gen projects was designed to use unique entities (Fields, issue types, statuses, etc) on a per-project basis, with the future goal to enable the migration of single projects between multiple Jira Sites. You can check more information about this in the documentation below:

Jira Cloud next-gen projects and the effects on the REST API 

That being said, we completely understand that a big amount of Next-gen projects will cause the JQL queries to return a huge amount of custom fields, which can be very confusing when using similar names. With the awareness that this feature must be improved, we created the following feature request:

As a Jira next-gen project admin, I want to be able to use the same custom fields in different next-gen projects 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer