Can I create a Custom Jira Type that is the Child of another Custom Jira Type

Rolland Coutinho March 21, 2022

I am trying to create two (2) different Custom Jira Types where one type is the "Parent" and the other is the Child.  In other words one Parent record can be linked to zero-to-many Child records.

Is this relationship possible?  Can this be accomplished with existing Jira Linking functionality?  Does it require an Administrator to establish the "Parent-Child Nature" of that relationship?

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this matter.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

You could achieve this through creating a Standard Issue Type and a Sub-Task Issue Type then applying the appropriate schemes and contexts to the project(s) you wish to apply them too.  By creating the standard/sub-task issue type when they are linked an automatic parent child relationship linking is created.  You could of course further enhance this through customizations, but keep in mind these always come with some maintenance overhead considerations.

Understanding Issue Types in Jira 

I hope this gets you started.

Rolland Coutinho March 21, 2022

Thank you very much Craig Nodwell.  This is precisely the type of response I was expecting.  I suspected that Jira would have this type of functionality natively out-of-the-box.  Thanks for confirming the same.

Rolland

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

Hey, you're welcome.
I've been working with Atlassian since Jira version 3, `17 years (my current community status doesn't reflect this so much due to being a consultant).

My experience isn't the point, the point is the experience I've gained via the community.
I've found that the community and technical support surrounding these tools has always been strong, friendly, and insightful. 

It is mostly for this reason I try to stay involved.

Hope you enjoy finding, and realizing the solutions to your business/development needs.

1 vote
Dexter Broadnax
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2022

Hi Roland,

There is also a 3rd part app called Structure for Jira that can be used in order to define any parent-child hierarchy, with any number of levels, you wish using Issue Links.

If you are already using Advanced Roadmaps for Jira you may notice Roadmaps supports the usual Jira 3-level hierarchy: Epic > Story > Subtask. You may be able to modify the hierarchy to suit your parent-child needs in this instance. Please refer to link provided for more info.

Suggest an answer