Can Due Date of an Epic be updated based on the Due Dates of its child items?

Federico Rocca January 14, 2020

Hi guys - I am looking to have 'Due Date' field of an Epic updated automatically based on the information I have for its child items.

For example: If Due Date of Task 1, linked to Epic A, is January 29th, I want the Due Date of the epic to be January 29th. If I create another task under this epic, Task 2, with a date of March 3rd, I want Epic A to show its Due Date as March 3rd.

2 answers

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 8, 2021

Hi @Federico Rocca

If you consider plugins, BigPicture (PPM tool) can provide the solution you are looking for.
It’s a comprehensive tool that supports project management in every phase, helps to plan, manage and track the projects. 
One of the plugin functionality is automatic parent task scheduling based on children's duration or tasks dependencies, which ensures that there is no unnecessary standstill in your project and that its lifespan is just right. 
If you have any questions, just tag me in this thread. 
0 votes
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

Hi @Federico Rocca - I don't think this functionality is available in Jira out-of-the-box. I believe there are Marketplace apps that allow you to do this, but I don't have any experience with those.

Federico Rocca January 23, 2020

Thanks Kevin. 

Sven Fuelster February 7, 2021

Dear Atlassian team,

every project management software has the capability to calculate the start and end dates of an enclosing task from the start and end dates of the subtasks. Not having this is a bug.

Kind regards,

Sven

Dmitry Barsky October 4, 2021

Is there really no way to show the "Due date" of the child item or the rollup to the Epic on the timeline?  

From what I can tell the only way to have anything on the timeline is to add a Due date to the epic manually.  

I hope that I'm missing something and this can be enabled.

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this

Suggest an answer