Automation - Move Kanban Task from backlog to board on status change

TTadashii-Ching March 22, 2022

All items in our backlog have one of two statues: "Refined" or "Needs Refinement". This is because we have a combination of stake holders and team members populating the backlog. Before we push the task onto the board, we ensure the task meets a certain quality (Refined) to ensure team members working the tasks have a clear understanding of the work.

My question is using a Team-managed Kanban project with the backlog feature enabled, how do I use "Automation" to move a task from the backlog to the board or vs versa when the status changes? So far, when using "Automation" the available actions doesn't appear to support this but I could be missing something. Any help is appreciated. 

3 answers

1 vote
Franz Heutzenröder August 7, 2023

I created a guide how to move from Backlog to Board it with Automations: 
Automatically call Jira Rest API from Automations (for moving Issues to the Board) 

Hope this helps. 

Evert Eckhardt October 20, 2023

Works perfectly  @Franz Heutzenröder. Thanks for the guide!

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2022

Hi @TTadashii-Ching 

It's not possible to do this in Team-managed Projects.

This is because the backlog in a Kanban board isn't controlled by Statuses - it's a separate entity. This differs to Kanban backlog in Company-managed Projects, where it's set based on Status instead.

Alternatives are...

• Company-managed: Use a Kanban board, where the Status change itself would move it from Backlog > Board.
  • Team-managed: Enable Sprints (i.e Scrum board), then use automation to add the sprint when the issue transitions, thus moving it from Backlog > Board.

There is a feature request for this you can view/vote for - see: JSWCLOUD-21481 

Ste

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2022

Hi @TTadashii-Ching

Welcome to the community. 

You won't be able to set automation to move from the backlog to the actual board. What automation can do instead is transition the status of a ticket based on some criteria/conditions.

Maybe you have a checkbox/label that says that it's fully refined and then automation can take it to the "to do" status which is the first status in your board.

Regards

TTadashii-Ching March 22, 2022

I was afraid I would need to implement some sort of work around like this. I think using tags would be appropriate in this case. Thank you for your reply @Fabian Lim 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2022

If you are interested in voting for the issues for making that feature available, here are the links:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21481

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2037

Like TTadashii-Ching likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events