Automatically update date fields between team-managed (Discovery) project and company-managed projec

Jake Forsland July 5, 2023

Hi,

I am looking to create automation that will update the start and end dates of an initiative in a company-managed project when certain corresponding date fields are updated on the Idea issue in a separate Jira Discovery project. 

Unfortunately, when creating the automation, the date field(s) I need from the Jira Discovery project don't show as options to populate the date field in the other project. (See screenshot)

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 5.42.53 PM.png

(In my example, the date field that triggers the update is "Execution Start" from the team-managed Jira Discovery project; but I can't use that field's value to populate the "Start date" field over in the Jira Software project.)

I am guessing this is because the field in Jira Discovery is not a standard field, and is lost in the mess of team-managed fields. 

Any advice?

2 answers

0 votes
Jake Forsland July 7, 2023

Awesome, thanks! This got me a bit further along. I have successfully identified the custom field and the syntax I need to use:

{{triggerIssue.customfield_11144}}

I am now getting the following error:

Error editing issues

IN-5 (The Start date must be of the format "yyyy-MM-dd" (customfield_10015))

I assume this means that the field I'm trying to update (10015) uses a different date format than the source data (11144). I also assume that there is a way to use the above syntax to modify the data to be in the correct format ... but I don't know how to do that.
May I ask your assistance again on this? Thanks!

sorry, added as a reply below. ignore here. 

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2023

Hi @Jake Forsland,

You are right about the root cause of the problem being the different configuration of fields in team managed vs company managed projects.

While I don't have a test instance up and running to quickly test myself, I would suspect that you could use smart values to fetch and copy the data across. This support article may help you find how you can reference the fields from your source issue as a smart value.  

The common syntax when setting the value of the target fields in a case like this, will most likely look like this:

{{triggerIssue.Start date}}

(assuming that Start date is the name of the field you want to refer to)

Hope this helps!

Awesome, thanks! This got me a bit further along. I have successfully identified the custom field and the syntax I need to use:

{{triggerIssue.customfield_11144}}

I am now getting the following error:

Error editing issues

IN-5 (The Start date must be of the format "yyyy-MM-dd" (customfield_10015))
I assume this means that the field I'm trying to update (10015) uses a different date format than the source data (11144). I also assume that there is a way to use the above syntax to modify the data to be in the correct format ... but I don't know how to do that.
May I ask your assistance again on this? Thanks!
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2023

Hi @Jake Forsland,

Yes, that is very likely the case. Have a look at this support article on smart values for date and time. There's a table there showcasing all kinds of date formats and how to reference them.  

Got it ... I'm entering 

{{triggerIssue.customfield_11144.format("yyyy-MM-dd")}}

Audit log says the issue was successfully updated, but it hasn't! Any other ideas?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2023

I would have to set up a working test environment to get it working myself. In the meantime, you can write a couple of things to the audit log, so you can properly validate what you are actually trying to write across (it sounds as if your current date is just empty).

You can use the log action you can find under advanced. Just write your smart values to the audit log se you can verify what is happening.

Suggest an answer