Approximate ETA for sub-tasks in next-gen boards?

James_Robinson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 23, 2018

The next-gen boards seem like a perfect fit for me and my team, but we can't really use them without support for sub-tasks.

I notice that sub-tasks are next up on the roadmap, but can we get an approximate timeframe for when they'll be available? Are we talking weeks or months?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2019
Frans Flippo February 13, 2020

Thanks, @Eoin! Any plans to make the sub-task show on the board like they were on classic projects, i.e. not in swimlanes, below the actual story card and indented? (Or with a placeholder header above the subtask if in a different column as the story)?

Swimlanes cause stories to show as lanes instead of cards which means you can no longer drag them to reorder or move them through the workflow, so I don't like them for that reason. The old classic swimlane-less way of handling sub-tasks was perfect.

Thanks!
Frans

Like # people like this
Frans Flippo May 13, 2020

@Eoin  would really appreciate a response to this, thanks.

Like Kapil Lohia likes this
Nate Reese
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 8, 2020

This would make them a lot more usable for us - currently they are too cumbersome to view / track. 

Like # people like this
8 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2019

All, to give you all an update - we hit far more technical obstacles with subtasks than we had originally envisioned. As some of you know, we are moving to a microservices architecture and introducing a raft of new technologies as part of the new Jira. The good news is we are very close and should have subtasks available within the issue view within the next few weeks, followed soon after by the ability to track subtasks on the board by enabling swimlanes on the board.
I'm keen to learn more about who uses the swimlanes in your team to track subtasks and in what you would like to see in the swimlane header. If you're free for a 15 min chat, I'd like to show you mockups and ask you some quick questions... https://calendly.com/eoinryan/15min
Thanks all for your patience!

Sean Blezard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 3, 2019

Thanks for the transparency, Eoin. Really appreciated. I’ve signed up for a slot, keen to help.

Sean

Like # people like this
Josh Padnick March 26, 2019

Hello, any timeline updates on this? Thanks again for your transparency. I realize it's extra effort on top of the work itself.

Like Lance Massey likes this
Marilyn Betsill
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 29, 2019

Hello, is it possible to get an ETA for subtasks in next gen?  Thank you!

Marilyn

Like # people like this
Michael Barnes March 31, 2019

Really surprised next-gen was launched without sub-tasks. Also surprised there's no note clarifying this when I enable sub-tasks. It caused me and likely others to think it was something we did/did not do? Also noticed next-gen did not inherit my issue types.

I think better, more regular communication, and blogging are good ideas, with a net value add of creating a stronger community. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like # people like this
Jira newbie April 5, 2019

Hello Ryan,

When is it expected subtask for next gen projects,?

Thanks a lot,

Javi

Like Christian Wirthsmann likes this
Kevin Davison April 19, 2019

Thinking about creating a "Sub-task" issue type as a workaround using a "Sub-task" label— but not if this feature is imminent. Hoping I could bulk convert them to the "Sub-task" (proper) when ready... thanks!

Like # people like this
Dave Conklin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 25, 2019

Another potential team wanting to use next gen but needing confirmation that sub-tasks are coming soon (ie, you have a firm release date).

Robin Ehrlich May 2, 2019

Hi @Eoin Ryan 

I've got a bunch of teams that would love to switch to using the next gen project but are pretty blocked by the lack of sutasks. I am happy to to jump on a call with you about this, but wanted to make sure you were still doing that since that offer was made a few months ago! 

Like # people like this
Hans Poppelaars
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 6, 2019

Are there any updates, we are two months further and still no sub-tasks :(. 

Evan Nieuwburg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 6, 2019

I'm advising in application use at the start Agile/Scrum. But if I read this thread it isn't hopefull enough to wait for sub-tasks. Without it is useless in a transformation process....

The communication is poor and not promising in the timeline... Can someone @ Atlassian give an update? 

Tnx

David Washburn May 6, 2019

They are already testing an early-release version for clients who want to opt-in.

Not to sound snarky, but please view the formal Jira issue for recent updates. I suspect Atlassian is unable to respond to each community forum post individually when there is already a process in place to provide updates via Jira's own issue-tracking product.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17155

Like # people like this
Mayur May 29, 2019

We would love to get in on the early release version if it's stable enough. Subtasks are pretty crucial for our work as we have moved to next-gen.

How can we get in?

Like YC Lian _ServiceRocket_ likes this
YC Lian _ServiceRocket_ May 30, 2019

Yea, I would like to have the sub-task capability too!

Evan Jacobs
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 7, 2020

This product is a joke. Stop reinventing the wheel and disrupting people's workflows, jfc

3 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2018

We're starting to work on sub-tasks next week. I can't give you an exact timeline I'm afraid but I am hoping to have something available before the end of the year.

Christopher Brallier
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 7, 2018

Next-Gen projects are useless without this feature, look forward to this feature.

Like # people like this
Chris November 21, 2018

I've jumped in with Next-gen. (I've been a Jira user for about 10 years and active with Jira Agile for about four years.)

Sub-tasks are really important. I see you are doing releases about once every two weeks or so. Based on this, I was hoping sub-tasks might be available by now and certainly before the end of Nov.

Of course I'll wait but just wanted you to know I'm really hanging on this feature.

Like Simon likes this
Alf Prøven December 18, 2018

Any update on this @Eoin? Would be really helpful to get this feature enabled soon. 

Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 18, 2018

@Alf Prøven we're currently working on subtasks so it's the next big feature we'll deliver. I would still advise to go with classic projects though if the need is urgent and you are making a choice between the two. Thanks

Sam Wilson December 19, 2018

Is it possible to switch between a classic project and a new project? Also, is there any indication of how sub-tasks will behave in the new-style projects?

Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2019

@Sam Wilson You can check out this page for the migration between next-gen and classic projects:

Otherwise, you can watch this page for what's shipped and what's coming soon on Next Gen projects:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

James
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 29, 2019

Can I ask for an estimate on this? We are migrating all our Jira hosted instances to the Cloud and would love to go next-gen. We can wait but without any idea of weeks vs months, it is difficult to make a decision. Sub-tasks is the only item preventing an immediate move.

Thanks

Sam Wilson January 29, 2019

Be sure to consider the implications of converting a Classic to a Next-Gen project. As per the link @Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_ linked to above, such a conversion will delete all of your issue links, sub tasks, custom fields, story point estimates, and report histories.

Mads Donkin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 5, 2019

is there an estimate on the delivery time of this? @Eoin @Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_

Like # people like this
Sam Wilson February 8, 2019

Just noticed that "sub-tasks" has moved further down the list of "Upcoming" features from the public JIRA roadmap linked above. It previously was at the top of the list.

Gin Gindre
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 11, 2019

I also find sub-tasks are key for any project with a minimum degree of complexity and agree with most in this thread that we users should be provided with an approximate timeline on when it will be shipped to make the best decisions for our teams.@Eoin Ryan @Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_ I understand you can't five a precise and guaranteed date, but we should be given a realistic one... we were initially told it would be shipped by EOY and we're in mid-feb. I assume you use your own tool at the company and should be the master users of it, and therefore be able to forecast relatively accurately ;)

Hoping for good news on this front. Thanks!

David Washburn February 19, 2019

They've updated their internal roadmap with first quarter as the new ship date. It's also reflected on the public roadmap because Subtasks no longer shows as "coming next". It's now on the bottom of the "Coming Soon" features.

Like Alf Prøven likes this
Sean Blezard February 20, 2019

So so need sub-tasks - can't recommend teams to make the jump without it :-(

Like # people like this
Andrea Badino
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 28, 2019

So it's not coming next, but coming soon. What does that even mean???

Sean Blezard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 28, 2019

I guess it's harder to do than they thought? I wish they were more transparent and blogged about their progress. Such an obvious hygeine feature.

Like # people like this
Alejandro Sanchez February 28, 2019

Please vote and watch to make this feature a priority, here:

Upcoming Features:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software#result-7198726e

jira-next-gen-sub-tasks.png

Like # people like this
Alexis Moore-Jones
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 18, 2019

Looks like substasks for Next Gen projects shipped on Jun 12, 2109 according to the public roadmap page :-)

1 vote
David Washburn May 6, 2019

All - there is a Jira issue related to this. Most of the recent updates have been provided there. There is an early-release version already being tested by other Jira users (myself included) and the full release is probably not too far away.

Subtask Jira Issue

Mayur May 28, 2019

Is the early release for cloud?

David Washburn May 28, 2019

I really hate to be that guy, but clicking on the link truly will answer most of your questions. Yes, this is for Next-Gen projects which are cloud projects.

Cloud.PNG

Mayur May 29, 2019

Thanks!

Suggest an answer