An issue appears both in the current and next sprint. How can that be? Is it a bug or wrong usage?

Robert Masur January 7, 2020

Hi all,

An issue appears both in the current and next sprint. How can that be? Is it a bug or wrong usage? Also when I use this query "Sprint = 15 and Sprint = 16 order by created DESC", it returns that item that is present in both sprints.

How come? Did anyone experience the same or something similar?

Thanks & best regards,

Robert

1 answer

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2020

Hello @Robert Masur

Sprints are an interesting part of issue history. An issue can be in several sprints at the same time from the JQL point of view given they maintain history from previous sprints.

This is to say, if an issue was part of an old sprint and then was take to the next one and so on, when searched through JQL 'Sprint =' you will find it matches all of them.

It is interesting though that you mention it matches the current sprint and the next one that is indeed odd. Can you give more details on the sprint setup you have?

Robert Masur January 16, 2020

Hi @Fernando Bordallo 

Thanks for your response. I understand that previous/historic sprints should be displayed and stored for an issue. 

But in my case, the issue was actually assigned to the current sprint and the next sprint which hasn't been started at the time. That problem occurred only on a single issue and I could resolve it by:

1. Going to the backlog view

2. drag the issue from the next sprint to the current sprint

3. reloading the backlog view.

Since then the issue is only displayed in the current sprint. That problem did not occur anymore.

To answer your question re the sprint setup: It's a next gen project. So there is not much I could setup to my knowledge. I usually have two to three sprints created ahead of the current sprint. Each sprint has a custom duration of three weeks.

Best regards,

Robert

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

Hello @Robert Masur

Thanks for leaving this comment clarifying your scenario for future reference 🚀Glad you resolved it

Suggest an answer