Adding Themes, Features or Initiatives in Next Gen Projects?

Raj Chhokar October 15, 2019

Hi, I am using the Next Generation Project version of JIRA. Is it possible to add Themes, Features or Epics? I have admin access but can't seem to find these options. I am looking for a way to organise my epics into related themes of work. Can you help with this?

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2019

Hello Raj,

Thanks for reaching out and first, "Epics" are a native function in the next-gen projects, and additional details on working with epics in a next-gen project type can be found in: "Manage epics in next-gen projects" 

As for features and themes, Themes are an additional function provided by the add-on app Jira Portfolio, and I believe what you are looking for in Features lines up with the terminology "initiative" for a corresponding functionality of Portfolio.  details on the capabilities can be seen in the article "Epics, Stories, Themes, and Initiatives" 

However, Portfolio can import issues from a next-gen project it is NOT currently compatible with the next-gen project types, and a majority of the functionality will not cross over when using a next-gen project, so the use of the classic Project template would be the recommended approach,  Additional details on the functionality loss of Portfolio when using a Next-Gen project types can be seen here: "Portfolio for Jira next-gen support" 

Regards,
Earl

Raj Chhokar October 16, 2019

Ok, thanks Earl

Like Stuart Tennison likes this

Suggest an answer