Run multiple sprints to divide and conquer in team-managed projects

Hi Jira Community! I'm Mark, a product manager working on Jira Software.

Today, I'm happy to announce that we're launching parallel sprints for team-managed projects. If you've used the parallel sprints feature in company-managed projects, you will be familiar with this feature.

This feature enables your scrum team to divide and conquer. Additional sprints can now be started and completed independently while working from the same backlog.

Doing so can be helpful when your team wants to split their work to focus on different goals while using the same backlog. For example, part of your team might run a sprint for development while other team members focus on a separate sprint for design. Both sprints would contain issues from the same backlog, but each sprint can be started and completed independently.

In team-managed projects, there is no need to enable parallel sprints via settings, you can just:

1. Go to the backlog in your team-managed project.

2. Select Start sprint while a sprint is already in progress.

Parallel Sprints - Start sprints (comp).gif

You can also filter your board by different sprints of your choice. If you wanted to view all issues for Sprints 1 and 3, but not 2, that’s now possible.

Parallel Sprints - board filtering.gif

To complete a parallel sprint:

1. Go to your project’s board view or backlog.

2. Select Complete sprint to open the modal.

3. In the modal, select the relevant sprint, then select Complete.

Parallel Sprints - Complete Sprint via Backlog.gif
Parallel Sprints - Complete Sprint via Board.gif

When completing an active sprint with incomplete issues, you can't directly move these incomplete issues to another active sprint. You need to move these issues to the backlog first, and from there, add them to a sprint, then start the sprint.

Our team is keen to hear from yours, so please let us know if you find this new feature helpful. Leave a comment below or share your feedback with me directly by emailing: mzimmer@atlassian.com

12 comments

Leah Hamilton September 29, 2022

This is fantastic! Thanks for the update and all of the team's hard work to get this released!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

This is awesome! 

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
Deleted user October 7, 2022

This could be really interesting, looking forward to trying this out.

Manu Sekhar Semasekharan Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2022

This will be a helpful feature. I had used labels to distinguish between different areas( BA, DEV, TEST AND CONFIG ) of stories in same sprint  separate board display based on matching labels. 

Like # people like this
Duncan Hill October 14, 2022

Interesting, I'll have to check this out to see if I can use it for my team as we scale. 

Like # people like this
Raffaele.Grasso October 26, 2022

That's amazing! I've recently change a team-mamaged-project to company because wasn't aware about this feature! 
Going to change it back :)
Thanks

Like # people like this
Marharita Krasnanosava November 24, 2022

Hi! This is an amazing feature and thank you a lot for having implemented it for team-managed projects! I have a small question though, board column are the same for each team even if I splited dev and product owner's work. Will you implement the possibility to configure diffrent column for diffrent team sprints or we will use all the same board with the same columns, even if they are not vecessary for specific team? 

Like # people like this
Olha Yevdokymova_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 6, 2023

Hi! This feature is fantastic, and I sincerely appreciate its implementation for team-managed projects!

André Wendt March 9, 2023

Hi! What can I do if there are no complete buttons in the company-managed backlog? Now, it is impossible to close or merge into a new sprint. With team managed projects there´s no issue. Is there help out there? image.png

Suraj Yanpallewar July 30, 2023

Hello, that's really amazing feature.and really helpful..

Derwin Roland September 29, 2023

Is this only available on the cloud version of Jira?

mlavarreda October 19, 2023

Hi  @Mark Z 

The feature is awesome. However, the example you provided (Sprint for design, Sprint for development) is not working as expected. I am unable to add only the tasks related to design and development to the Sprint. It forces me to add the whole story to the backlog, and when the story is completed in one Sprint, it disappears from the backlog.

Could you provide any guidance on how we can achieve this?

Thank you!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events