Getting started with next-gen projects

144 comments

Alex Schelhaas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 23, 2018

When migrating issues from a classic project to next-gen it removes the association with that epic, any thoughts as to when we would be able to keep epics linked to their relevant tasks? Also, the roadmap feature is :ok_hand: . 

Rob Sharp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 23, 2018

Is it possible to migrate issues from old-gen Backlog to next-gen Backlog? The only status I can see is 'To-Do' and that will migrate the issues to (I asssume) the 'up next' column rather than the backlog.

Corey Thokle October 24, 2018

Now that the Project Settings section is limited to Details, People, Issue Types, Apps & Features, how do I navigate to items such as changing my Project Category or Notification Schema?

Shengyu Chen October 24, 2018

This looks great. I have been just looking to get some roadmap management utilities. Using Excel sucks. I just created this new project and enabled open access but when I search for people no body showed up. How to make sure that i can add other people to this?

Kevin Tran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 24, 2018

Great new feature (the roadmap is definitely a nice thing to have) !

But I was trying to create new status and only found a way to create new columns.

How can I create new statuses for my issues ? I would want a "will not fix" status that would resolve my issue but actually only the last column is able to resolve it.

And as for sub-tasks, I don't see them included by default, do I have to create them as custom issue type ?

I need the custom status and sub-tasks before I can migrate my projects to the new project type.

Michael Kirzhner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 24, 2018

I do not see a lot of features in setting up multiple boards etc for these type of projects or being able to really configure the board as I see in a normal project. I know this is still in process, but when do you think it will be on par / better than current.

Workflows, etc. There are many things that I think still need to be worked out.

Nick Cron October 24, 2018

Hi everyone - as an FYI our product Jira Integration+ is fully compatible with next-gen projects so if you have Slack and want to integrate with Jira please feel free to check us out.  

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219324/slack-integration-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

mythili
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2018

Hi @Corey Thokle currently the next-gen projects do not support project category. However we may consider adding this in the near future. Similarly per-project notifications are also part of our long term roadmap. 

Andre van der Schyff
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2018

@Rob Sharp the backlog in next-gen boards is not linked to a specific status - it is simply all the issues that are not on the board.

When you switch backlog on in a next gen project and then navigate to the board, Jira will offer to move all the issues in the first column of the board to your new backlog. So maybe you can use this automation to achieve what you want:

• first move the issues from old gen to the next gen project, at which point all the issues will be on the board
  • next confirm that all the issues you want to appear on the backlog is in the first column
  • switch on the 'backlog' feature from the settings screen
  • navigate back to the project, and you should get a prompt offering to move the issues from the first column to the backlog
Ronan Viel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 25, 2018

These new features for Cloud version seem to be great and we are looking forward to get most of them on the Data Center version.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Tucker Fross to get to completed issues in past sprints, you can go to issues search, select your project and add Sprint as one of the columns you want to see in the issue search results. You could also add to the filter the specific sprint you want to see the issues in that sprint. You can then save the search to be able to come back to it often.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.22.21 pm.png

We'll build something more convenient so that you don't have to leave your project and go to the issues search.

Tucker Fross October 25, 2018

@Jason Wong perfect thank you! This should be sufficient short term.

Like Jason Wong likes this
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018
Hi @Johan Terink yes I agree with you. I've heard from several experienced leads that they will only bring metrics (reports) in when the team has developed a pattern or rhythm of development, otherwise the data might lead to confusion.
With next-gen projects, reports can be enabled / disabled in features.
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.29.25 pm.png
To move from Classic to next-gen it would be just the bulk move of issues that we would recommend at the moment. See this comment by @Julien Femia.
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Craig Phillips that seems strange. Can you tell me or share a screenshot of what you see when you go to project settings?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Michael Lee - For Server, it's still TBD.

As @Josh Frank posted on an earlier comment, the the Server team is investigating & learning from customer feedback at the moment to balance which elements would be most valuable in addition to performance, administrative control, & team productivity!
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018
@Alex Schelhaas The way epics work in next-gen projects is different to Classic epics.
The previous epics related to their child issues as a set of issue links. This could cause confusion as the relationship was viewed / thought to be just another issue type operating at the same level.
The next-gen epics are built to make it clear that there is a hierarchical grouping between parent-child.
Due to the changes in the shape of data linkages between Epics and Issues, the bulk move doesn’t bring those epics across.
Thanks for raising this - we’ll need to consider addressing the problem to make the move easier.
For next-gen projects, have you seen this guide? 
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Shengyu Chen Great to hear you're liking it. 

What you describe seems strange. There are 2 ways to add people to your project.

1. On the top of the board and
  2. Project settings -> People.

Are you still getting empty results when you type the person’s name or their email address?

If so, I think we need to look into your instance as it should be giving you suggestions as you type.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2018

@Kevin Tran

We have yet to add back in resolutions for done issues. Right now we’ve compressed that into the last column to make it simple but we’ll be working to bring that back. 

Sub-tasks are not there yet, but they are coming soon.

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

Stefan Schuessler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 25, 2018

Will there be a way to share Stories throughout several next-gen projects? 

Craig Phillips
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 25, 2018

@Jason Wong I figured out the issue. I created the next-gen project, but tried bringing existing epics from another project into the board. Seems like adding my second project as a source of issues meant it was no longer next gen. 

I thought it was possible to epic link across projects (which would've solved my problem) but it seems that cant be done. So there's really no work around to keep issues in the existing project, but make use of next gen features (mainly roadmap) through linking across projects. 

Guess we wont be making use of this for some time 😞

Jessica Malenfant October 25, 2018

We have a new project that we created in the classic Jira business project and a separate classic jira software dev project (2 JIRA projects for the same "real life project") but am considering moving it to the next-gen instead.

Can you use next-gen for both the business work as well as the software work?

Should these 2 activities be in the same next-gen project or better to keep the project management activities (e.g. task to submit quarterly reports) in a separate project?

Thanks - looking forward to exploring next-gen more!

Shengyu Chen October 25, 2018

@Jason Wong thanks for the reply! I tried again and no names show up: 

Picture1.png

Mark Thompson October 25, 2018

@Jason Wong - Forgive me if this is posted somewhere and I did not see it.  Will cloud users be forced to the new software like we were with the last UI changes or is this a voluntary upgrade?  There are a few items I like but based on the comments there are others that would likely break our current development process.  I'd like to know timing on any forced upgrade to make sure it doesn't come at a critical time for our business.  Or if someone could point me to a link where this information is posted it would be greatly appreciated. 

Maziar Zamani October 25, 2018

Where is releases?

Corey Thokle October 26, 2018

How do you rename your Board?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events