Find issues faster in your team-managed board and backlog

Hi Jira Community! I’m Mark, a product manager working on Jira Software.

Today, I’m happy to announce that we’re launching custom filters for team-managed projects. If you’ve used the quick filters feature in company-managed projects before, custom filters will feel familiar. It’s our solution to a busy board and backlog, to help you quickly find the issues you’re looking for.

This update is all about up-leveling your tools so your team can work smarter, not harder. While project admins have permission to create and customize filters, all team members can apply them to the board and backlog as soon as they’re created.

Get started

Here’s how to create your first custom filter:Custom filters.gif

1. In your team-managed project, go to Project settings > Board > Custom filters
  2. Enter a name and description for your custom filter.
  3. Write a filter query using JQL (Jira Query Language) to tell Jira what issues you’re looking for. Tip: If it’s your first time using JQL, select :question_mark: in the top navigation to access in-product help.
  4. As you type, Jira will validate your query and offer a list of autocomplete suggestions based on your query’s context. Once it’s validated, select Create.

Custom filters.gif

After you’ve created your first custom filter, you’ll find a new dropdown in your board and backlog view. Select filters to refine your search, and use multiple filters simultaneously to narrow down on the issues you need.

Once you’re up and running, you can edit and delete your custom filters at any time. Select on your board or backlog, then Manage custom filters

Custom filters - navigate.gif

How we’re using custom filters

As soon as we could, our team put custom filters to use straight away. These are the queries for the custom filters we’re using the most:

Unestimated issues

"Story point estimate" = null

Recently created issues (created in the last 7 days)

createdDate >= -7d

Recently updated issues (updated in the last 3 days)

updatedDate >= -3d

Unassigned issues

assignee is EMPTY

Old issues (older than 90 days)

created <= -90d

High priority bugs

issuetype = Bug AND priority = High

What’s next

As your team starts using custom filters, we’d love to hear from you! We’ll be using your feedback to help us iterate and improve the feature. Feel free to share your thoughts below, or use the Give feedback button in Jira — feedback left here goes directly to our teams. 

27 comments

Alyssa Bouranova March 17, 2022

@Mark Z Thanks for this! We'd like to be able to bookmark filtered views of our project board and backlog, but it looks like custom filter params are cleared from the URL and we're redirected to the unfiltered view. 

Is this a known issue/any plans to address this? 

Like Amy_Carton2 likes this
Mark Z
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Alyssa Bouranova, thank you for your comment. To be able to ship this feature earlier, we descoped this work for the first release. There is an 'improvement ticket' which you can follow for future updates regarding this topic.

Like Amy_Carton2 likes this
darren.johnson March 22, 2022

Hi Mark,
I am not able to get this to work, I am looking at creating a nice simply quick filter to filter EPICS by custom field RAG Status = RED.

Screenshot 2022-03-22 194135.png

DGOB is our Board name

When I create & apply the filter I get nothing returning yet it works if I use advanced search & returns 4 epics that have a red rag status.

Can you help please ?

Anh Le March 30, 2022

I cannot use the query like this: 

status != closed
Anh Le March 30, 2022
"Story point estimate" = null doesn't work as well
GO March 30, 2022

hi, I was waiting for this, thanks. Is this new feature only availably for software projects? not for business projects? 

Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 5, 2022

Hi! Good news! Our team just starts to use customize filters. I`ll write feedback for 1-2 weeks! Thanks

Like Mark Z likes this
Mark Z
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2022

@darren.johnson just to double-check, DGOB is your Board name? project = needs to be the project name. You can only use Custom filters in the same project.

Mark Z
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2022

@GO Other products and/or projects that might have similar filters, but we have released this new one for Jira Software Cloud -> team-managed projects.

Mark Z
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2022

Hi @Anh Le! Regarding:
status != closed
are you using the status "closed"?

Regarding:
Story point estimate" = null

We'd need more information regarding why this is not working. Are you able to create a support ticket, so our support engineers can have a look at this?

darren.johnson April 7, 2022

@Mark Z DGOB is the key for the Project which is Data Governance Opportunity Backlog, I have just tried this & still can't get this custom filters to work.
Screenshot 2022-04-07 085419.png

Joshua Resnick April 14, 2022

Hi @Mark Z ! I'm not finding this feature while using the Content Management template for team projects. Does this feature only affect Jira Software team project templates?

I read the above comments and found my answer. Thanks.

Like Mark Z likes this
Mark Z
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2022

@darren.johnson can you please reach out to support? On top of mind, I would try to remove the project name (not required) and ORDER BY (not working, as it can't override board/backlog JQL filter). If you do this, is it working then?

darren.johnson April 29, 2022

Annotation 2022-04-29 152203.png

I am afraid it's not working when I try the above, we are not currently using this feature as we can't get it to work, Thanks.

Tim Vergenz June 5, 2022

I don’t seem to see my board’s quick filters when viewing the board in the Jira iOS app. Is this expected? If it is, is there a ticket I can follow/vote on for mobile support for next gen quick filters?

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2022

Hi @Tim Vergenz, are you able to select the filter icon (inverted triangle) at the top-right of your screen when you're on the board?

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2022

@Tim Vergenz This is the icon I'm referring to:

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.27.14 am.png

Carrie Bonnell June 21, 2022

Is this the same functionality as the former server version quick filters for boards?  

Chris Freitag June 27, 2022

I'm in a team-managed project, and I don't see the "Custom Filters" option.  What am I missing?

Are Custom Filters available in a "Business project"?

Screenshot 2022-06-27 155356.jpg

Like Faruk Erdem likes this
Tim Vergenz July 3, 2022

Hi @Hannah McKenzie ! I’m able to select the filter icon on mobile, but my custom quick filters defined on desktop do not show up in the mobile board filter menu. (See screenshots.)

498FA2A0-9C3A-4833-B3DF-779FA302A831.jpegB811CF5E-E2F4-4202-A2CE-A539A65A418F.jpeg

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
July 3, 2022

@Tim Vergenz Hi Tim, the app doesn't yet support team-managed projects' custom filters (it's a newer feature). It does currently support company-managed projects' JQL-based 'quick filters', though. Support for custom filters will certainly be built in future. Hope this helps. Thanks for reaching out.

Tim Vergenz July 4, 2022

@Hannah McKenzie that’s what I figured. 🙂 Is there a ticket I can follow/vote on for mobile support for team-managed project quick filters?

Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2022

@Tim Vergenz Not at this stage, as we have other features being built. But stay tuned :)

Elodie LAURAINE October 25, 2022

Hello, I try to use it to sort my board by Priority (ORDER BY priority DESC) but nothing happens. Could you help me? please

Dominic Hill November 1, 2022

Hello Mark

As a PM I think I would be pretty embarassed to have announced a feature for Team managed projects and yet in all the videos you provided at top of the thread its clear to see you are in a Software Project?

My requirement is just to exclude epics in kanban view - any other way i can achieve this?

At this point can you also explain to me why in timeline view a sub-tasks DOES nest inside a task, but tasks DO NOT nest inside Epics? 

Feature is not in beta - seems like major issues in PMF. I am a CEO of a 50 person start-up that was about to pull my team out of Monday.com but unless i get some satisfactory support here that wont be happening...

Dominic

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events