• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Stand-ups aren't just for software teams... does your team do them? Edited

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 12, 2020

Software teams have been doing Stand-ups for over a decade, but all teams can benefit from these short, regular check in meetings. At Atlassian, each team has a personalized version that keeps everyone involved and engaged. Whether they’re on Zoom, Slack, daily, or weekly, no two are exactly alike.

Are Stand-ups something you do with your team on a regular basis? If so, tell us about your team's personalized version! If not, what's keeping you from doing these quick team huddles? Let's discuss! 

standups_hero new@2x.png

5 comments

Our team works across 3 timezones and some team members have non-traditional work hours so every Monday we do a Stand-up on Slack, using an automated reminder. It's been really nice having that record to go back to when I forget what someone is working on.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 13, 2020

Thanks for sharing, @Becky Rubenstein! Having weekly updates written out for everyone to reference as needed does sound handy.

I have not tried Slack yet. We currently are using Teams site wide. Is Slack better for communicating within the Atlassian environment?

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 13, 2020

Hi, @Danno! We use Slack internally and do enjoy the integrations between Slack and our Atlassian tools.

Like Becky Rubenstein likes this
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Nov 16, 2020

We often establish this at the beginning of the project and identify specific times we can make this happen and how we will make it happen.  We have used Teams, Zoom and Slack.  Just depends on the team and how they like to work.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 16, 2020

Awesome, @Brant Schroeder. Sounds like you're making sure to accommodate all team members involved. That's definitely key! 

Sajit Nair Community Leader Nov 17, 2020

yes. They are the hearbeat for our teams.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 18, 2020

Nice, @Sajit Nair! Are they fully remote right now or are some back in the office?

Definitely! Stand-ups should be done on a regular basis because it helps a team to track and manage a goal!

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 23, 2020

Totally agree, @Soumyadeep Mandal!

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this

Our consultancy has a daily standup, which is entirely remote over zoom. As most of us are working on their own projects, we focus mostly on keeping everyone in the loop on what everyone is at. That is mostly an informative part. The key part is the I'm stuck and I could use some help here bit, which is key to pull in available expertise from others on the team.

During covid we saw that it's more difficult sometimes to get everyone to dial in remotely. If anyone recognises this and has developed practices to overcome the risk of people being left out of the team by this, I'd love to hear them!

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Nov 23, 2020

It can be a little tough remotely, that's for sure! On my team, we ended up naturally developing a solution that works well for us. If more than a couple of people aren't able to join the call remotely over Zoom, we move to a digital format and each of us adds the following into our Slack channel (we do our Stand-ups weekly on Mondays):

• Monday mood: (Pick an emoji that fits!)
  • Shipped/work moved forward last week:
  • Priorities this week:
  • Challenges/Blockers:

Think something like that could work for your team, @Walter Buggenhout _ACA IT_ ?

Like # people like this

Definitely @Kristen Roth ,

I like the focus on different aspects of team health while you keep it pretty limited as well. I think I am going to suggest something we try something along these lines.

I am a strong believer that remote teams should commit more to asynchronous communication. Not to replace the physical touch base, but to make sure everyone in the team is accounted for and can stay informed - even if they get stuck in a discussion with their teenager or need to clean up the mess after their ill-gone cat.

Did you have an immediate agreement with the team on what was a good frequency - I see you chose a weekly standup? Or did you go through a couple of iterations before you landed on that?

And do you have a separate channel for this? Or does it get cluttered away pretty soon by dozens of other posts in the team channel too?

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Team Playbook

October challenge: Take the time to *really* check in with your team (and yourself!)

Hello, Team Playbook fans! Do you really know how everyone on your team is doing right now? And while we’re on the subject, have you taken the time to check in with yourself? The past year has impa...

635 views 4 12
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you