Did you mean: 

"Failed to check login for user"when trying to loggin

tiavina30 November 16, 2020

I have this error when I try to log in to  a new account:
Capture.PNGr ...

3 answers

2 votes
sullycolivan November 18, 2020

What nic said...then you take that token and enter that in as your password. I had the same issue as you and this worked for me. Sounding like loads of people having this issue right now. Token is generated at https://github.com/settings/tokens

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Yes, you'll need to create a personal access token for this account.

Haeh5302 November 16, 2020

I'm also here for this issue but I'm struggling to apply the token to SourceTree.

If I attempt to update my account(s) within the Options there is no Authentication option for personal access token.  (see below picture)

SourceTreeAccountMenu.png

If I attempt to directly clone a new repository from the URL the prompt login window also has no option for the personal access token (see below picture) 

GitHubLoginMenu.png

Some search results went as far as to imply that the password field is where the token value is placed.  In neither scenario has this worked.  I have the latest SourceTree version installed so I'm not sure what I'm missing? 

Can you please walk through the process of taking a personal access token from GitHub and applying it within SourceTree?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

The reason I answered was that I ran into exactly the same a few days before. 

As @sullycolivan answered, I entered the token as the password.  I would add that you need to make sure the username you use is identical to the username you generate the token for - I seem to remember I failed the first time because of CaPiTaLs in my username.

Like Sergio.Cardenas likes this
0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2020

Glad you all were able to come upon the answer. Given this has come up a few times, I just wanted to add the info that Github announced earlier this year they'd be disabling passwords over basic auth - and the time they'd make the hard switch (November 13, 2020) was last week. 

There are actually two ways to solve it:

1. Generate a Personal Access Token in Github and then paste that in place of your Github password in Sourcetree as @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- and @sullycolivan mentioned
  2. Switch from Basic authentication to OAuth in the Auth type dropdown in Sourcetree for your Github account. Then click the "Connect Account" button to authorize Sourcetree (this should open your browser and just be one click in Github if you're logged in on the web already)
    image.png

Cheers,
Daniel

TK February 13, 2024

@Daniel Eads This describes how to create a PAT for Github, but what if one is using Azure DevOps Repos? 

For example, here is an error I'm getting when I take similar steps >>

failure.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events