unable to log in after customizing permission scheme

nadiah mohammad January 14, 2014

i've customized the permissions scheme, groups and project roles. i've also set my friend as one of the group (that i've customized) user. however, my friend unable to log in after i've set him as a user to a customized group. is there any permission i have to customize in order to enable him to log in?

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

Hi Nadiah,

Like Peter says, you'll need to add your new groups to the JIRA users global permission (which is not part of any permission scheme but is global across JIRA).

To do this follow these steps :

1. go to your JIRA Administration Pages
  2. go to User Management
  3. select Global Permissions from the menu on the left
  4. go to the bottom of the page and select the JIRA Users permission from the Permission drop down and your custom user group from the Groups drop down.
  5. Click Add

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, Izzat here (Nadiah Colleague)..

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I get it that we can assigned the login user from the global administration page. What I don't get is, why only she can login as a user when others cannot?

I've set up 5 users here & 1 admin. However, only her username as a "user" can login to JIRA, however, I cannot login to JIRA with my username as a "user".

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

Hi Izzat,

So if I understand you correctly:

You have created 1 admin users (in the jira-administrator group) that can login to JIRA.

You have created 5 users in a group you defined yourself (different from the jira-users group) 4 of these users cannot login to JIRA, but the one from Nadiah can.

Is there a difference in the users (are they part of different groups for example)?

You could login with your admin user and see the group memberships of both your user and Nadiah's user, are they identical?

Best regards,

Pete

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

the login permissions are realted to "jira-users" group so a if a user is not a member if this group he or she cannot login.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users

look at the section: Assigning a user to a group

(info) Please Note: If you have a user limited license (e.g. starter license) and have reached your user limit, you will not be able to assign any further users to groups with login permissions (i.e. jira-users permission) without first reducing the number of users with login permissions.

if i've deleted the "jira-users" group, is there any ways i could retrieve it back?

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

I am afraid you cannot undelete it. You can assign the log in permissions to any group. The login permissions are controlled by a Global Permission setting which by default is assigned to "jira-users" group. So if you have another group that has all the users that you want to be able to login you can give it the Global Permission for login.

Look at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

JIRA Users

Permission to log in to JIRA.
(warning) The number of users that count towards your JIRA license is the sum of all users (including users in groups) that have this permission. If you want to reduce this count, see How do I reduce my user count in JIRA.
(info) Granting the JIRA Users permission to a group results in all newly created users being automatically added to that group. The exception to this are groups that also have either the JIRA System Administrators or JIRA Administrators permissions, since JIRA prevents groups with these administrative-level global permissions from being granted the JIRA Users permission. Furthermore, it would be unwise to automatically grant these administrative-level global permissions to all new users.

Yes, that's what I understand. Meaning that we don't need to use JIRA's pre-fix users for assigning log in to each person/group. Tha'ts what I've been trying to do but I just seem couldn't get it done.

I've attached 1 snapshot here for you to view. Correct me if I'm wrong, is this where I should dwell in? or is it other section?

Suggest an answer