"Whiteboard" evaluation?

chriscf March 28, 2013

I'm looking to evaluate several applications, but for my testing I'm using non-persistent VMs. That is, anything that wasn't there when the VM was powered up gets forgotten when the VM is powered down. (Hence "whiteboard" - a reboot will wipe everything away.) I've read that keys are tied to a Server ID, and that the Server ID is stored in the database - which in this instance will cease to exist at shutdown.

How will this square with the licensing? I don't know how the Server IDs are generated, so don't know that the configuration changes I might make (VM sizing, different OS, etc.) will result in different Server IDs being generated. I don't know whether they'd need separate licenses, or how many I'm allowed to generate for a given product, etc.

To re-iterate, when hitting the reset button, everything goes back to a blank slate - nothing gets persisted, not the application and not the database. The idea would be that when I've settled on a suitable configuration, I would then set up the live instance without any of the old data from the test instances hanging around.

Mostly I'm looking for some reassurance that when I do the second iteration of experimenting with JIRA that I won't find myself in a situation where the licence key no longer works and I can't generate a new one.

Thanks.

(In the interest of full disclosure, if my "company name" doesn't already give it away, I'm unlikely to progress beyond Starter level.)

1 answer

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2013

Hi Chris,

Since you are evaluating the application using the evaluation license, you can re-use the license for testing purposes after wiping up the instance.

Suggest an answer