notifications issues + global permissions question

Todd Osborne August 13, 2012

Let me start by saying that I'm really enjoying how robust JIRA is. While the interface isn't nearly as user friendly as other project management platforms, the robust capabilities so far have made up for this.

My current issue is two-fold. The first is a more specific problem and the second is more of a _consultation_ request:

# *GLOBAL PERMISSIONS*: I'm the administrator of JIRA for our company, but not the person who setup the account. That person is username *Mike* in our system. It does not appear that I currently possess the *JIRA System Administrators* global permission, and we can't seem to get this added to my account, and neither can Mike. I would assume that someone at our organization would have to have that access level, but I would have just assumed it would be the user who purchased the product. I've read through all the documentation online and still can't get to it. So can you please help me setup myself with the JIRA System Administrator access?

# *NOTIFICATIONS*: Users are currently getting too many notifications. I've made some adjustments to the default notification scheme, but I think it's still a little too much. Overall we'll probably try to move to more of a _pull_ than a _push_ flow of communication, but I still would REALLY appreciate your advice on what are some best practices or common modifications to the Default Notification Scheme. And just to give you a frame of reference, in my last PM role I deployed Basecamp, and one of the things I really liked was how it batched updates/changes in terms of notifications, so if multiple comments/updates/changes were made to an issue, users would only receive one email every 15 minutes, summarizing all the comments and changes to the email. I've searched both in the JIRA Admin console for a way to batch outgoing mail notifications like 37Signals does, but can't seem to find it. If that option exists, perhaps you should show me where, or explain why I don't really need it.

Thank you!

Todd

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Todd Osborne October 9, 2012

1. Atlassian has stated that because we have the OnDemand version rather than locally-hosting our JIRA, we can't utlise the JIRA System Administrators permission.

2. Atlassian has stated that they do not have any digest functionality for email notifications. Would be great for them to implement this because 37Signals already has this feature nailed in Basecamp. Also because we have the OnDemand version, we can't install downloaded plug-ins.

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

Hi Todd,

The JIRA System Administrators permission, if unassigned will be given to all users with the Administrators permission so it's possible that you already have the permissions but aren't aware of them. However, you can check this theory by running the following SQL qury that will tell you which users have the System Administrators permission:

select perm_parameter from schemepermissions where PERMISSION=44;

If you find that none of your users has the System Administrators permission, or a user who you can no longer use to access the instance then you can use the instructions on this page to re-gain access: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

Notifications are more complicated to configure because everyone's workflow is different, and different users need different notifications so one thing you can do is create more than one notification scheme as this will allow you to have different configurations for each project. You can learn more about configuring notification schemes here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

There isn't currently any kind of Digest functionality in JIRA, and it appears that the plugin which provided that functionality is now deprecated but if you are looking to move to a pull rather than push flow of communication then you might find this plugin useful: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.jitterplugin.jira.jitter-notify

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer