how to make changes to jira default mail handlers

ashen shanaka December 15, 2012

hi

im new to jira and its mail handlers.i want to use the jira's mail handlers to scan two folders in my mail box.and update two projects related to those folders. and i did that.

but now i want to extend that functionality.i want to keep the mails in those folders (stop mail handlers from deleting it after processing) and make it able to move issues/tasks across projects simply by moving the associated mail from the folder to the other folder. resulting in deletion of the original issue/task from that project and creating it in the other folder. please help in making this a possibility.

for those who didnt understand my problem: imagine im sending a cv for the post of php developer to a mail. when the reciepent checks it, he puts it in the php folder in his mailbox.so then a task is created in the project php developers. but next the reciepents thinks im more suitable in web developement rather than in php. so he just moves the mail from php folder to the web folder.so the existing task in php project gets deleted and a new task is created under web developement project. can i do this? if so how? please guide me..

thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2012

JIRA mail handlers process mail that is provided to them by the core JIRA mail service, the handlers return true or false for processing and have no relationship or understanding of the source whether its IMAP, POP, or local files/other.

Specifically, how you can influence how the remote email is managed would seem to require:

a) A customization of the core Mail Service that will affect all incoming mail handlers (probably not good)

b) A standalone reimplementation of the all the scheduling logic to to mail retrieval, then, you could potentially still use existing mail handlers (even the bundled ones) to do the processing. The problem you will find is that movement of a file from folder X to Y needs to somehow be correlated to an actual issue ABC-123 and moved to DEF-567. The exact details of implementation here are complex, and is not something I would even try to go into here.

Also, is your last question answered?

Suggest an answer