email Notifications not always working

Jessica Witt August 2, 2012

I set up a new workflow and notification scheme and assigned both to a project.

The notification scheme is set to send notifications on (didn't list them all but ones that I think shoudl be working in this process that aren't)

Issue Assigned (System)

• Current Assignee
Generic Event (System)
  • Current Assignee
  • Reporter
  • All Watchers

I have a process where after (project lead) developer marks an issue complete, that it goes to a reporter verification step, where the issue is reassigned back to the reporter and they click verified or needs more work where the ticket is again re-assigned back to the (project lead) developer.

When the ticket is initially created is is automatically assigned to project lead/developer and an email is generated like it should be. When it is reassigned back tot he reporter.. the reporter is NOT getting an email. I can't figure out why since its been assigned to a new user.. AND further the reporter verification step is set up as a generic event which should also fire a notification to the reporter.

I have been testing this with myself as the reporter on a project where a collegue is the lead. We both have the profile preferences option set to "notify me" on the my changes preference.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2012

>When it is reassigned back tot he reporter

I think that might be part of the problem. The "issue assigned" event is *only* fired by the "assign issue" action. If your users are changing assignee as part of a workflow transition, then there is no "issue assigned" event, you on;y get the event that the transition actually fires (I'm guessing you have this set to "generic" from your mention of it in your question?)

Jessica Witt August 3, 2012

Well then wouldn't the Generic Event notification trigger an email?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2012

Yes, assuming that's the one your transition is firing.

Jessica Witt August 3, 2012
No I am not getting any emails. So neither is firing
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2012

It's very unlikely that no event is being fired at all when the transition is performed - I don't think you can remove "fire event" from the post-functions at all. I'd check that it is defintely set to fire "generic event" and then see if anything goes into the mail queue at all. This could be hard to spot, as the mails are sent on a 1 minute cycle, so you don't have a huge amount of time on the mail-queue screen and you may need to be clicking "refresh" to catch the new outgoing email.

If you consistently get nothing going into the queue, then the possible problems are broken events or you've not got the event/notification schemes set up to send (very unlikely - what you've said so far looks correct, so unless you're misreading your own config, I don't think that is the problem).

If it does appear in the mail queue, then the problem is outside Jira!

Suggest an answer