create a workflow programatically?

John Rassel February 19, 2014

I want to create a workflow, a workflowscheme and associate it to a project programatically.

Any code examples to help get me started?

2 answers

5 votes
Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

JIRA saves a workflow as XML. If you already have your workflow in the correct XML format, then creating the workflow is quite easy:

WorkflowDescriptor myWorkflowDescriptor = WorkflowUtil.convertXMLtoWorkflowDescriptor(myWorkflowAsXml));
JiraWorkflow myWorkflow = new ConfigurableJiraWorkflow(myWorkflowName, myWorkflowDescriptor, workflowManager);
workflowManager.createWorkflow(anAdminUser, myWorkflow);

Otherwise, creating the Workflow could be cumbersome. It depends how complex you Workflow is.

Creating a WorkflowScheme:

Scheme scheme = workflowSchemeManager.createSchemeObject(myWorkflowSchemeName, myWorkflowSchemeDescription);
AssignableWorkflowScheme myWorkflowScheme = workflowSchemeManager.getWorkflowSchemeObj(scheme.getName()); // necessary intermediate step
AssignableWorkflowScheme.Builder myWorkflowSchemeBuilder = myWorkflowScheme.builder();

Assigning Workflows to the Scheme:

// default (all IssueTypes)
myWorkflowSchemeBuilder.setDefaultWorkflow(myWorkflow.getName());
// ... or only for a specific IssueType
myWorkflowSchemeBuilder.setMapping(issueType.getId(), myWorkflow.getName());

workflowSchemeManager.updateWorkflowScheme(myWorkflowSchemeBuilder.build());

Associate Scheme to Project:

workflowSchemeManager.addSchemeToProject(project, workflowSchemeManager.getSchemeObject(myWorkflowScheme.getId()));

Does this help?

John Rassel February 23, 2014

I got it working but having some minor issues:

1. I create the workflow scheme

2. for every custom issue type of mine:

2a. i create the workflow for that issue type

2b. using myWorkflowSchemeBuilder.setMapping I associate the issuetype with the workflow

2c. I update the scheme: workflowSchemeManager.updateWorkflowScheme

3. outside of my for loop - I associate it to the project

workflowSchemeManager.addSchemeToProject(project, workflowSchemeManager.getSchemeObject(myWorkflowScheme.getId()));

The issue is that on the workflow page, my newly created workflows are listed as INACTIVE; however my workflow scheme is listed as ACTIVE and the association between the issue type and the newly created workflow looks right. What am i missing?

hanen jouaied April 7, 2017

hello John , could you please share your code? 

0 votes
Uday Kumar May 28, 2014

John,

Will you be able to share the code of what you achieved?

I'm looking for creating custom workflow along with screen transistions.

Thanks in advance

Suggest an answer