cannot modify config/server.xml

Hi i am new to jira.

I want to modify the file conf/server.xml under the jira installation directory.

But when i want to save the file, it shows the file already opened in another program.

I already closed the jira service and also run the shutdown script.

And also tried restart the windows system. (I know the jira service will automaticly start, so i already turn if off).

after restarting, still cannot modify the file

I don't know why.. any thoughts?

thanks a lot

5 answers

Use an open file utility to determine which process has the file open. Since you mentioned windows, look on the sysinternals website. There are a few programs listed that will do this task nicely.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027.aspx

down down down

0 vote

If your editor is showing this problem then it's exactly what it says in the message - you've still got the file open elsewhere.

Check that Jira really is shut down first, but it's unlikely to be that because it only reads the file at startup and doesn't hold it open.

You'll need to find out what you've opened the file with elsewhere and fix that.

Probably config.bat/sh is running?

Hi,

First, check the file permission and make sure you have the permission.

If you are sure that you can modify the file,then make sure you shutdown JIRA. Killall java process if possible, then try it again.

Hi,

It was file permissions for me.  I had to open my text editor as Administrator and then edit the file as a quick fix.  Best of luck!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Uncategorized

Friday fun: how many celebrates Midsummer holiday or is this a Swedish tradition only?

Any other country that celebrates Midsummer holiday (this friday 22 June)?  

34 views 3 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you