can I create a new user with an email validator? I need to have only unique email addresses.

liljoint April 1, 2012

can I create a new user with an email validator? I need to have only unique email addresses.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2012

Hey Bryan,

Interesting, I had thought JIRA would stop such a silly thing from happenening, but the admin console at least doesnt stop it.

The basic mail handlers do a user lookup from the sender of the email so it should not be possible to do that from email, do you have a case where this is a problem?

JEMH also does a lookup, pre 1.0 also contained a feature to disambiguate email addresses (where say in a corporate network, LDAP contains mulitple email accounts that are owned by a common user id, and that user id is the 'name' of the user to be created), but I havent quite got to re-implementing LDAP yet. the implementation then was pluggable, but at a code level. I can see pluggable validators (or even scripted validators) as part of JEMH.

I think this is a question that has a 'you dont need to do that' (with caveats). If you have a scenario where this is a problem, please elaborate.

Suggest an answer