automate the process of JIRA data extraction without any human intervention

Kenny Lv December 3, 2012

I am tracking the progress of each JIRA on a daily basis in a project. All the in-progress JIRAs are listed in the saved query as follow.

http://hostname:8080/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13239

There is a field in the schema ‘Remaining Estimate’ indicating the effort of Expected To Completion(ETC) and my developer updates the number in that field daily. I need to extract the remaining estimate of each JIRA in the list COB everyday and convert it into a status report with a standalone Java program I created. The number of ‘Remaining Estimate’ can be extracted by manually clicking Views -> Excel (All Fields) but it quite inconvenient due to the manual effort required. My requirement is actually, in short, to automate the process of JIRA data extraction without any human intervention.

This could be achieved with one of the two approaches as per my knowledge. More options are to be suggested.

A. An programming interface that allows data retrieval for the JIRA fields.

I have been working with the JIRA SOAP Service interface. I could retrieve data from the web service URL http://hostname:8080/rpc/soap/jirasoapservice-v2?wsdl. The problem is that the SOAP Service API gives some common JIRA fields such as Summary and Description but it does not provide a method that returns the field of Remaining Estimate. Let me know if there is such an API I am looking for. This is my preferred approach because I have spent time on the programming.

B. JIRA extract the data and send it to me automatically with scheduled job.

Please someone advise the details of the file format and the delivery approach if this is the preferred approach.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

Use getIssueList from JIRA Command Line Interface. The the appropriate outputFormat, you can retrieve all the fields you want including time tracking for all issues returned by a JQL search. The result is a CSV file.

Suggest an answer