after creating the symbolic link, do we need to restart the Jira Application?

Manjunatha K R March 7, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to change the attachments directory on JIRA

Ask your question here...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

That's actually a hideously complicated question to answer in detail because it depends on your file system, operating system and JVM.  In some cases, it's a no, in some it's a yes, and in most, it's a "you probably should".  But rather than try to go through that and start to guess at percentage chances of something going wrong, be safe.

The best answer is "you should stop JIRA before creating the link", and the second best answer is "yes, restart it".

Manjunatha K R March 8, 2017

Thanks for your prompt response Nic.

I did restart of my JIRA server, but still iam unable to attach the file into my JIRA issue.

File "Gliffy Diagram for Jira Snapshot.PNG" was not uploaded

Could not save attachment to storage: Unable to create target directory /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/attachments/KPTT/10000/KPTT-9206

The step used to create symbolic link in my platform, where JIRA s/w is running i,e Linux

ln -s /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/attachments /home/application-data/jira/data/attachments

Attachment Path(System->Attachements) currently showing in my JIRA sw:: /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/attachments

Where JIRA sw is installed in my server i,e /home/application-data/jira/data/attachments

• Manju
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2017

Did you replicate the full tree to the new place, and check all the permissions throughout?  That error is almost always down to the permissions, or sometimes disk space.

Read the log for more detail on the actual root error.

Manjunatha K R March 8, 2017

Nic,

Thanks. My problem is solved, folder /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/data/attachments/KPTT didn't have write permission to create sub-folders, now i added needed permission to create sub-folder and add attachment based on the error posted now.

• Manju
0 votes
GaurangS March 9, 2017

I am trying something similar with JIRA 7.2.1 running on Windows and am not able to resolve the issue. 

One difference is that I have a sym link for one of the projects and not all of JIRA attachments, I am guessing that should not matter and yet after checking permissions are there for the project's folder, I get the same error and exception.

Is there something else one needs to do for Windows?

Thanks,

Gaurang

Suggest an answer