Why are the remaining time and logged time not adding up to estimated time?

Jennnifer O'Brien February 12, 2013

I have a user that created a epic with one sub-task, he put the estimated time as 2 wks from the 5th of Feb to the 19th, so yesterday he logged 1 wk of work towards it so it should show that remaining time is 1 wk but it is saying 1w 3 d.......any reason why this would be happening?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2013

Time tracking does not work like that. It depends on what the user opted while logging the work. If he/she has specified the remaining estimate based on that days status as 1w, that will be the value that will be stored. If the user selects 'auto' then it will be original - time worked.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2013

At a guess, look at your timetracking settings. How many hours per day and how many days per week are set?

Secondly, you say "2 weeks from <date>" - the start date is irrelevant to time-tracking, all that matters is the estimate and the logged work. As your estimate is 2 weeks, and your developer has logged one day, I would expect to see 13 days left (if you're using 7 day weeks) or 9 days left (if you're using 5 day weeks)

ok, so he put in estimated time as 2 w and then logged 1 w of work, the settings are 8 hr work days and 5 day work wk so its not adding up, thanks for any help with this

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2013

Yup, that looks wrong to me. 2 weeks estimate - 1 week logged = 1 week remaining to me.

More questions though I'm afraid:

Does this issue have any sub tasks?

Can you look at the issue history and look for any changes to the timetracking?

And similarly, examine all the worklogs?

(I've found when I've had time-tracking problems, it's worth getting a quick timeline like "issue created with estimate 1d, Alice changed estimate to 3 days, Bob logged a days work, Chuck logged two days" and so-on. )

So the this is a single sub task of an epic but the week is the only time logged against it, here is the activities, i don't really understand the time....ill try upload a better image

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2013

Ok. If it is already a sub-task, then that rules out weirdness in the time-tracking "roll up" (where you estimate say 1week on a parent issue, do no work on it directly, but work on the sub-tasks so that the parent ends up showing several days work)

Suggest an answer