When will the versions of OnDemand match those of downloadable versions?

JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2011

When Atlassian announced their new OnDemand platform they said that releases of Hosted and Downloadable instances will be simultaneous, yet currently the OnDemand applications are not the same versions so I would like to know when our customers can expect to have access to the latest versions of our software?

Specifically customers want to know when FishEye v2.7 and Bamboo v3.3, (two major developments in the Atlassian Dev Tools offerings), will be available to our OnDemand customers?

3 answers

1 vote
Gary Gary March 28, 2012

Releases seem to be synced fairly close now, but some features are still separate between versions. Plugins specifically.

Is it in the works to allow OnDemand users space to install third party plugins, from at least a select pool? I realize there are challenges with enabling this infrastructure wise, but the benefits of the OnDemand environment are being weighed against the ability to extend its uses and/or customize to fit my (and my clients) needs.

1 vote
DouglasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2011

Per the announcement, future releases will be simultaneous. The versions in OnDemand today do not yet match, and there is a bit of catch-up to be done on the development tools side (FishEye/Crucible and Bamboo). We're currently implementing the processes that will enable simultaneous releases to OnDemand and Download customers which will happen at different times for different products. We're targeting JIRA 5 as the first simultaneous release, and all of the above should be completed in the next few months.

Steffen Opel January 15, 2012

Hmmh, fair enough, however, the live announcement from October 25th 2011 has been actually much more bold and precise, e.g. Mike Cannon-Brookes states updates are going to happen On the same day for all releases from this day forward (~18:40) as well as from today we are doing simultaneous releases, so when 4.1 comes out […], you will get it on the day we put it up on the website (~24:00). Well, I can download 4.1 for quite some time already, but ... ;)

What happened to these promises? Could you please share some insights what is causing this rather significant delay despite the platform itself being available as such? Thanks!

0 votes
Brian Passavanti November 2, 2011

Yea and what about the Jira Version as well. Currently at 4.4.1-studio-rc3. You can't even download that version number, can you? So how the heck we supposed to import from hosted to OnDemand? Come on Atlassian, your CEO was so excited in giving us the news, you should live up to his words.

Suggest an answer