When first creating multi-project board stories dont show up in backlog list

John V December 18, 2012

I ran into this issue when creating a new multi-project sprint board, Atlassian GreenHopper (v6.1-rc1)

1. Went to Agile --> Manage Boards

2. Tools --> Create Board

3. Created new board, added projects from list

4. Went to plan mode in new board and epic's showed up but no stories, backlog was blank.

6 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2012

It's not a workaround, rather the required step in the board administration when the project is not using the default workflow.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Columns#ConfiguringColumns-MappingColumnstoJIRAStatuses

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2013

Ah, now I get what is going wrong. First point - Creating a project and board from Getting Started page is meant for managing a single project, not for multi project.

When a project is created using Getting Started page it is associated with the GH worflow and it's associated workflow. When you edit that board and add another project, the statuses from JIRA default will not be mapped and you need to do it yourself. In fact doing this is not recommended.

If you are using a multi project board, create it from Manage boards and manage it like any other boards.

So try creating a new project from Getting Started, go to configure and see whether statues all are mapped correctly. If yes, there is actually no bug. Let us know.

0 votes
John V January 10, 2013

Sorry for the confusion on how I created it, I did create it originally from Tools -- Agile as I noted because that is how the help instructions said to create a multi-project board and it is in fact the easiset way to create a multi-project board. I also expect this method to work as it is within the agile framework and the agile manage boards, and I would expect the new board to be created using the Greenhopper default workflow and proper issue types but it was not as I already detailed.

However, also I just tried a test case and created a new board from Agile getting started. I did not have an option to choose my workflow, I assume it should use the default Greenhopper workflow. I did not have options to add other projects either so it is not easy to create a multi-project board from the getting started page. In any case, when the board was created and you go to configure and look at the columns, it was created the columns using the Greenhopper workflow "To Do, In Progress, Done" but the issues in each column they are using the Jira default workflow issue types and it has "Resolved and Closed" in the Done column, etc. the same as if you create the board from the Manage Boards page. So it did not properly create a Greenhopper board from the Agile getting started and it shows the warning about some issues will not show up.

To add projects to this existing board it is very complicated and non-intuitive, you have to click "View Filter In Issue Navigator" which then brings up a page where you can then click on the projects drop down menu (who would have thought this would add projects to a board?) and then you click on the projects you want to add. After doing this we get the same probloem with items not showing up because the board was initially created incorrectly. I did not have any way to create it correctly as I was not asked about the workflow type during the process.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2012

Ah, that is interesting. In the initial description of this question, you had mentioned that you created the board from Manage boards. I assume actually you created from the 'Getting Started' screen. And additonally, did you create a project and board, or just the board from the 'Getting Started' page?

0 votes
John V December 29, 2012

All the projects were using the default workflow and were showing up fine on each projects configuration board. When creating the board from the getting started menu I had no option to select a workflow and so it would appear the workflow it created by default from the agile getting started screen was not a default workflow. This seems a bug.

0 votes
John V December 18, 2012

Upon further investigation as to why issues were not showing up, I went into the confgure board screen and saw this warning:

Some issues in the Saved Filter will not be shown on the board. View unmapped statuses which contain these issues.

After clicking on the link and examining the unmapped statusses, it turned out that the new project board was created with the jira statuses in the columns and the greenhopper statuses on the left (unmapped). So I manually went into the columns and removed the jira statusees and added the Greenhopper statuses into the columns (To Do, In Progress, Done) and then went back to plan mode.

After this edit, then the stories showed up as expected in the plan mode screen.

Why the board was not created correctly by default, I am not sure, but this is a workaround for the problem.

Suggest an answer