What is the best way for multiple teams to share a project?

Paul Goldsworthy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 13, 2012

Our division has two teams. We've been using the hosted version of JIRA for some time. Recently we switched to the downloaded version and upgraded to Greenhopper 6.0.1. Our teams are investigating switching from the older "classic boards" to the newer stuff.

Currently we have a single project. We would create several versions. For each team we had one primary version to represent the current sprint and several others that represented future sprints so we could do some intermediate term planning. We had created other versions to act as "holding pens" for stories to would be scheduled later. Both teams were able to work at the same time. This worked good. For the most part stories were pretty much for one team or the other but occasionally we would work as a combined group for a sprint or two.

The challenge that we're facing now is under the new model I can create sprints for planning (pretty much the same as I would create versions before) but I can only start one sprint at a time.

I realize I can create mulitple boards for the same project, however the ranking appears to be stored with the project, not the board so when I move something to the top of the backlog for one team it moves to the top for the other team as well. I setup a board for each team for some testing and exploration of the new methods.

Does anyone have any ideas for starting multiple sprints (at the same time) so I can have one going for each team that allows me to prioritize independently? Once a sprint is started I can't start another until the first is completed.

So far each method I have investigated leads me to believe it would be better to split this into two projects. Then I could setup 1 board for each project and a 3rd board for those situations where the both teams work all together as one. The downside is I have a substantial backlog that would have to be moved to the new project.

Does anyone have suggestions for moving multiple stories from one project to another? I know how to do it one at a time.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

Alternatively you might like consider the approach with a board per team and using components to separate the work, I posted a previous answer on this.

Cheers,
Shaun

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

You can now run multiple sprints in parallel with the newest version of GreenHopper (6.0.3): https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+6.0.3+Release+Notes#GreenHopper6.0.3ReleaseNotes-Parallelsprints

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

In terms of moving multiple stories to a new project, go to "Issues", search for all the issues in your current project, click the gear icon, and choose bulk move. choose "move issues," then, just select the issues you want to move, and click next. you can also choose whether or not to send an email for each issue being moved.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

Fair warning: this feature is only in "Labs" for the moment.

Paul Goldsworthy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 13, 2012

Thanks for the quick replies!

Suggest an answer