What causes Commitment to be zero on my Velocity Chart?

What causes Commitment to be zero on my Velocity Chart?

I believe all Stories had Story Point values before Starting the Sprint. Also, my first sprint had a value in Commitment. I don't know what I did differently.

My Board is configured to use Points for Estimation Statistic and Remaining Estimate and Time Spent for Time Tracking.

6 answers

1 accepted

That did the trick; I got Commintment back. My lesson, sprint start time, after done planning sprint (seems obvious after the fact).

I have the same problem, what did you do to get the commitment back for that sprint?

I don't believe I was able to change previously completed sprints, but for all subsequent, I made sure my sprint start date and time was before any work (status change or hours logged) was done on sprint items.

Similarly when completing the sprint, make sure end date and time are after everything for the sprint has been updated in Jira.

Hope that helps.

Hi Benjamin,

Just wanted to help you out on this issue :) It sounds like you have added issues to your sprint after the sprint has begun. As discussed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Viewing+the+Velocity+Chart the 'Commitment' value is calculated on the issues and stories added before the start of the sprint.

A quick way to find issues or stories that were added after the sprint start is to view the Sprint Report. Issues that have a star next to the key were added after the beginning of the sprint.

To resolve the issue in future sprints you would create the sprint, add the issues from your backlog and then begin the sprint.

0 vote
Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Aug 26, 2013

Hey there, Benjamin.

Could there be an inconsistency in your JIRA instance that causes the values not being displayed properly? Have you tried to perform reindexing (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Re-Indexing+after+Major+Configuration+Changes) to see if you still have the same issue? I am suspecting this since you mentioned that yor first sprint didn't suffer from this problem.

Warm regards,

Thank you Danial! I will reach out to our admin and find out.

Our Jira admin just completed the reindexing and unfortunately the issue still exists (verlocity chart is still showing zero for commitment on last two sprints)

0 vote

Try configuring your Estimate to use the Commitment field instead of Story Points

Thank you Matt. I checked the Estimation options and Commitment is not one of the available options.

My Administrator submitted the question to Atlassian Tech Support and I believe the root cause is self-inflicted (I will confirm when completing my active Sprint Friday).

During Sprint Planning, we added Stories to the Sprint, with Story Points and then I Started the Sprint. However, after hitting Start Sprint, I changed the Start Time to the beginning of the day. Since the Stories had a later timestamp, they were consider added after the Start and thus not part of the Sprint Commitment.

Changing the Start Time of my Active Sprint (to after Sprint Planning completed) has already cleaned up my Burndown chart, so I'm hoping my Commitment value will be non-zero. If so, I will keep the default Start Time (current time) when Starting future Sprints.

It's been months since the thread started, but I'm in the same situation.

So , no changes to the past sprint possible, ie, the velocity chart is screwed up for ever as far as tracking goes?

Even though our sprints begins after we complete the sprint planning currently I have the project showing only commitment in the first sprint in the Velocity Chart, I have two additional sprint without commitment, any updates and/or hit to be able to register the sprint commitments?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted 6 hours ago in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

23 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot