Visualize Roadmap

Jens Lippmann September 19, 2012

Jira provides a nice list of upcoming versions in the Roadmap Gadget. Is there a way to show the timeline graphically, and not as a list? If not possible in Jira, how would I construct a query to extract the same information in Excel that are shown in the Roadmap Gadget. (The gadget itself doesn't seem to provide an export feature)

4 answers

0 votes
Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

This true. Power Point here I come :)

Thanks.

Jens Lippmann May 1, 2013

The tool dropped my first reply during login so let me try again (now in an even more foul mood :-) )

Jira does very well in managing single issues - very elaborate schemes, and schemes of schemes, but it falls short for multi-project/multi-release management:

1. Project templates, e.g., a project scheme that would provide a set of default issues every time a new project gets created instead of manual creating or cloning them
  2. Version templates, so default issues for each version don't need to be created manually
  3. Version scheme, so versions could be created once for all projects associated with that scheme instead of manually entering them into each project
  4. Version graph with major milestones of each release - Gantt
  5. Project graph for major milestones (key tasks) - Gantt (Greenhopper made huge progress with its improved Epic based planning, and such a graph could be associated with Epics for example

The information is all there somewhere but it seems Atlassian doesn't like to think of Jira as such a tool.

So as you see, I don't think there are more than enough features, there are not enough to make my life easier.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

Interesting idea but I don't think there are too many options already available. So when you say graphically are you meaning a horizontal timeline with drop points for the releases? Similar to what you get on the created/resolved chart?

0 votes
Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

I am looking for a horizontal timeline, with each release having begin and end period. I don't care about the issues in the release just the release itself. I don't care about % complete or created/resolved.

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Ah this is an old thread is it :) Sorry didn't realise. So in your case, yeah no way in OnDemand and even if a plugin was available it probably ISN'T available in OnDemand :(

The closest you might get right now is displaying a created/resolved chart but that won't be looking forward in time. I guess you want some back and some forward? (i.e. not just released versions)

0 votes
Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Looks like this issue hasn't received any attention.

I am also interested in displaying a visual roadmap within Jira. We are using Jira on-demand. I am not interested in extracting data into Excel or any other tool.

Is this possible? Where do I find the option/settings?

Suggest an answer