Using BDD to test JIRA flows

Yu Chem May 5, 2013

I was looking for but could not find any previous experience described. Is there any facilitator to apply BDD to test JIRA flows and permissions?

The idea is to describe JIRA configuration requirements in BDD terms: project configuration, security, flows. Thand it would be nice to have the configuration tesded using BDD scripts.

3 answers

0 votes
Yu Chem May 6, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

BDD: behavior-driven development. Long story short, the concept may be conveniently used to describe business requirements to the system (configuration) and the very same BR desicription file could be used to run a functional test of the system (by 'system' I mean JIRA instance configuration).

Roughtly, something following the lines:

-------

when 'partner agent' creates new ticket
then ticket status is 'new issue'
 and ticket is assigned to 'triage team'
 and ticket is added to SLA monitor

when 'supervisor' assignes ticket to 'support agent'
then ticket status is 'In progress'

when ticket status is 'wating for comment'
and ticket is assigned to 'partner call center' 
then 'partner agent' can add comment on the ticket
or 'partner agent' can set ticket status to 'updated'
-------------

this description can be read by BA and the very same file can be used to validate system funcitonality using an interpreter script like: http://cukes.info/

0 votes
Yu Chem May 6, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

BDD: behavior-driven development. Long story short, the concept may be conveniently used to describe business requirements to the system (configuration) and the very same BR desicription file could be used to run a functional test of the system (by 'system' I mean JIRA instance configuration).

Roughtly, something following the lines:

-------

when 'partner agent' creates new ticket
then ticket status is 'new issue'
 and ticket is assigned to 'triage team'
 and ticket is added to SLA monitor

when 'supervisor' assignes ticket to 'support agent'
then ticket status is 'In progress'

when ticket status is 'wating for comment'
and ticket is assigned to 'partner call center' 
then 'partner agent' can add comment on the ticket
or 'partner agent' can set ticket status to 'updated'
-------------

this description can be read by BA and the very same file can be used to validate system funcitonality using an interpreter script like: http://cukes.info/

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

Hi Yu Chem,

I don't really follow you. Could you please clarify the term "BDD" and any particular use case that you would like to achieve ? Do you mean Behaviour-Driven Development ?

Suggest an answer