Unable to actually see imported Data in Psql- trying to import JIRA Data in SQL

Ishwari Chitnis June 21, 2017

I checked the following things:

1. Connection is successful- JIRA and Psql are connected.

2. Unable to see data in the database I have mentioned in the connection - I am assuming that I can see the data in the databse and do not have to use the dbconfig.xml

3. Psql is up and running!

4. Inspite of checking all these things, I am unable to actually see the JIRA ticket data I am trying to import in the psql Database.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

There's no context here to help us understand what you are doing.

Why are you looking at the database?  What type of "import" is this and how are you doing it?  What are you actually trying to achieve (in terms like "build a test machine from production", not "I want to import")

I wish to import JIRA issues into Postgresql.

Default JIRA database is H2.

I wish to import JIRA issues from different projects, try joining tables where relevant.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

Ok, that's good, but leads to the next question - import what?

Are you trying to

1.  migrate a JIRA system running on H2 onto a PostGreSQL backed one (e.g. turning a trial, test or demo system into a proper production one)

or

2.  import bits of one system into another (a merge)?

(I should warn you though, either way, you should not be doing it on the database level)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2017

Ok, we typed the last few comments at the same time.

You're trying to merge one system into another.

This is an absolute nightmare to do in SQL.  The "import" of one issue could affect between 5 and 60 tables, some needing multiple entries.  Then you'd need to deal with the possibility of clashes.  And the structural data behind it.  And ensure the config is set up before the "import".  And changing the data to match the structural and config data.

SQL is the wrong way to do this.

You should

1. Set up the project(s) in the target JIRA
  2. Export the source JIRA to xml
  3. Use "project import" to import each project

There are several tools on the marketplace that can help you with this.

Tools like Confluence?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 21, 2017

Eh?  Confluence is a wiki-like application.  Not a migration add-on.  Try marketplace.atlassian.com

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events