Trouble migrating from workspace.com to JIRA

Wade McDaniel December 10, 2012

Hello all,

I am trying to migrate from workspace.com to JIRA and am having trouble importing defects I've exported from workspace.com.

1. Is there a way to erase all the defects I've imported and try again?
2. Has anyone else done this migration that would have a configuration file I could use?

Thank you!
-wade

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Wade McDaniel December 16, 2012

As it turned out this is what was wrong.

I had created a custom status. It showed up as inactive, but I assumed that was because nothing was mapped to it. So I included the custom status in my mapping of import fields and that was the problem. Once I did an import not mapping to the new custom status all of my issues got imported.

I think you have to make the status part of a workflow for it to be inactive, but I'm not sure about that. I'm still a n00b.

Wade McDaniel December 16, 2012

Here's the detail of the problem and it's resolution: https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JST-52275

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2012

Hi Wade,

You should be able to do a bulk delete if you create a filter to view all of these issues (bulk operations are in the cog menu in the upper right of the screen). After that, you can try the import again. You'll need to import using a CSV file, and the instructions for doing so can be found at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

You're just importing issue fields with this, so comment/history data will be lost. Also, if you have attachments, you'll have to include links in the csv.

Good luck!

-dave

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I'll give that try!

I get 1,122 errors and only 71 successfull imports when importing and I can't tell what the errors are. Does this mean anything to you?

Error importing issue ExternalIssue{externalId=autoid-101247631996410478, summary=MyAccount: header change, issueType=null}

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

Is "Error importing issue ExternalIssue{externalId=autoid-101247631996410478, summary=MyAccount: header change, issueType=null}" the only indication of the problem? Could you look inside Importer log file (available from the last page of the importer wizard - after the import is complete). You should have some kind of indication of what the problem is.

Anyway feel free to raise a support request at support.atlassian.com if you are stuck with the import. We will help you. There are plenty of things which can be misconfigured - with huge flexibility which CSV importer offers, comes a price of possibility to misconfigure it.

Wade McDaniel December 11, 2012

When I begin the actual import I breifly see a link to download a log of the import, but before I can click on it the screen is replaces with a small box displaying my 71 successful imports and the 1,122 faliures, aqnd on that page there are no links do download any log files, unfortunately. I guess I blew the system's mind with all of my errors.

I'll try opening a support ticket. Thanks for your help!

Suggest an answer