Sub-Task for Kanban Rapid Boards -- questions / Issues

Stephen Kervin November 24, 2012

Hi

I am new to greenhopper and I must say I am loving it, having always lvoed boards but never used them as I move around physcially between offices.

Using Kanban rapid boards I am struggling to get Sub-tasks to either be hidden or stay with there parents.

My requirment:

is to have Sub tasks on a parent, but not visible on the board, but still visible on quick detail review (on the right). I do want the estimates to roll up to the parent.

What I am seeing:

Sub-tasks appear in the "back-log" open column despite where the parents appear. Note my parents are a custom issue type and the sub tasks are the standard subtask. I gave cusomised workflow on the parent. The parent works perfectly on the board. The sub-task does not.

Note: I have RANK in my rapid board before I get any RTFM comments. This doesnt help group sub tasks to parents despite what the help text says.

Questions:

1) Should I make the workflow the same for the sub-task as the parent?

2) How do I deal with subtasks are per the requirement above?

What I have tried:

1) Alter the filter to remove the sub-task type. Results: Works but then subtasks DO NOT appear on the issue detail window on the rapid board. So not acceptable.

2) Added a quick filter to the board to filter the parent task only "Parent tasks". Works great but requires the user know to click the quick filter else the board doesnt make sense. This is my current solution.

What I would like is described in requirements above, which is no subtasks on the board, but subtasks in the detail pain (preferably no quick filter requirement). Is there something I am missing. Is it my workflow setup? Is there a way to make it work?

Thanks,

1 answer

2 votes
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2013

In your board configuration, use the Work Sub-Filter (on the Filter tab) to filter out sub-tasks from the Work view - then they won't be displayed on the main board, but you'll still see them in the Issue Detail pane.

Hope this helps! :)

Suggest an answer