Stash Backup and Restore

Felix Herzog July 4, 2013
Does someone has developed a good Stash Backup and Restore scenario? I am startign to work on a scenario and as there is no "tool" included I see many hurdes to solve it. I need to cover following: Usually we have a production server and one "cold or warm standby" system for a case of emergency. In such a case we have to keep the standby-system relatively sync with the production one. Usually in Jira or Confluence we could simply use the import/export functionality and thus we could give this synchronisation in a hand of a simple employed employee. Now for stash we need to craft knowleedge from well payed colleaques and optimize the processes to have a valid backup and valid restore-system (we need to dump the database, copy the filesystem, have to consistencely modify the sql dumpfile to point to the cold-standby-URL [what a mess!]). THis is hard work just for a simple restore mechanism... Does someone know if there are activities besides atlassian to have something like that import/export mechanism? The real problem is stash, not the repositories - they are on the users clients, too ;) We guess we will host more than 200 Projects with ~four times of repositories in the next 2-3 years. So also the manual method of "just add the repository in the standby-system and clone-configure the permissions" is not continuable. I also think the backup-mechanism of dumping and file-copying is not very consistant. Any further well thought ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2013

Hi there,

We recommend customers to backup their database and home directory directly due the data amount.

Stash generally stores a larger amount of data and even in Confluence and JIRA we recommend using an external backup strategy over the in-app backup feature. For example the Confluence documentation states:

Note: The XML export built into Confluence is not suited for the backup or migration of large data sets. There are a number of third party tools that may be able to assist you with the data migration. If you would like help in selecting the right tool, or help with the migration itself, we can put you in touch with one of the Atlassian Experts.

Regards.

Suggest an answer