Should I use Epics or Versions for release planning?

I'm really new to Jira, so bear with me.

My question is whether I should use the "Epic" or "Version" construct to do release planning. Here's what I mean by release planning: let's say that we've got 40 stories, and we reckon it can be released in 4 chunks. Do we divide those 40 stories into 4 epics, or do we divide those 40 stories into 4 versions (or is there some other construct altogether I can use)?

Whatever I use, I'd like to view a board (Scrum and Kanban if possible) at a release level, as well as view reports at a release level.

Any guidance here is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

hi Emile

Releases are supposed to be managed by versions on jira. So, if you think that 40 stories are going to be released to your customer in four version, i would set up for versions and assign those 40 to each of the four fix versions.

Now, this has got nothing to do with scrum or kanban boards. You do not need to have a 1:1 relationship with each sprint mapping to each version release. Each sprint can contain multiple customer releases and multiple sprints can constitute a big version release.

Rahul

Thanks Rahul, that makes complete sense. So to extend the example, I could divide the 40 stories up into 4 releases, but the 40 stories could also be divided into 10 epics being delivered over 5 sprints. So seems like the "Version" construct is the solution.

How do you handle multiple "projects" in one "version"? We are organized by multiple scrum teams. Each scrum team owns a project. Each PO for the scrum team wants to filter for their "project" and for a particular "version" (which is a release to us) as they only care about their team's deliverables.

Program management and product leadership want a cross team/program wide view. How do you roll up multiple teams "projects" into one release "version"?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 7m ago in United States

Local Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th

We're looking for participants for another workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sh...

6 views 0 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you