Share certain issues with third parties without loging

I've set up an email account to create 'Malfunction' issues. When rss-feeds are down, images do not load, things like that.

All our clients can now send an email to this address and the issues is created.

However, everybody reports the same issue. It is possible to have a mobile website that displayes all open with with this issue type. This way people can check if the issues is already logged and what the status is.

Note: I don't want people login in Jira, just browse to the url.

2 answers

1 accepted

And an additional plugin for those who won't read that website before creating JIRA issues.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.suggestimate

Woh! Looks cool. Will check this out for sure. $10,- is not much to check for duplicate issues. Thnx!

0 vote

Yes, two simple steps:

1. Add the group "anyone" to the permission scheme for the projects that you want to allow non-logged-in people to see. Give it "browse" permission, but absolutely nothing else (otherwise, people can make changes without you being able to track who did it)

2. Visit Jira without logging in. Doesn't matter if it's mobile, desktop, TV, games console, anything that can read html from a browser and display it will work.

You probably then want to think about saving a suitable filter for that issue type, because then you can use the xml and rss feeds in other applications. You can code something to read and display issues via those routes, or REST (saving a filter makes it more easy, but you can define the searches remotely too, so a saved filter isn't essential here)

I'm quite new to Jira so don't know how groups and such work.

I made a group and gave it permission: I modified the activity feed so not-logged in user could see it. However, not very practicle. The site still shows login menu and such.

I did get the email issue logging set up correct, so issues are logged ok. I also made a simple PHP website, connect to the DB and just query all this projects non-closed issues flagged as 'Malfunction'.

It now displayed 4 issues, clean and simple mobile website. Everyone can check fast and easy whether the issue is known or not. If not, send an email and its logged! I love it!

Thnx for the tip though, I will have to explore groups and such more, because now everyone is admin of Dev on the project, which is not necessary.

You're pretty close to having grasped it all already :-)

However, I should point out the "anyone" group is an oddity - it's not a real group like all the others in the system, it's more of a concept. It basically includes anyone who might hit your Jira and is not logged in.

All the other groups work as you'd expect - they're a list that contains a number of users. You can create more groups, add users to many groups, remove them from groups etc. There's not a lot more to it for looking after them. Using them is another story because they have many uses (Although these mostly do come down to "if user is in this group then ..."), and using them effectively is an even more complex story.

For your admin/dev problem, the most simple thing to do is break the users into two groups - one who should have admin, and the ones who should not. However, groups are not the only way to handle permissions in Jira - you might be (and probably are) using roles, which are very different.

Start by looking at the project permission scheme - what does it say for "admin"? Once you can say what that is, then you can look at how to divide the users...

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Uncategorized

Friday fun: how many celebrates Midsummer holiday or is this a Swedish tradition only?

Any other country that celebrates Midsummer holiday (this friday 22 June)?  

40 views 3 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you