Setting up JAVA_HOME system variable from embedded JIRA JRE Edited

Following Running JIRA applications over SSL or HTTPS which requires java installed on your system.

I am running JIRA with embedded JRE already which is clearly not recognised by OS (Ubuntu).

As per the confluence page...

"ensure the <JAVA_HOME> variable is pointing to the same version of Java that JIRA uses."

Is it possible to set <JAVA_HOME) variable to embedded JRE (if so, how to do it pls) or do I have to install new system-wide JRE separately?

1 answer

1 accepted

You can set the JAVA_HOME variable to the included JRE before running the commands. Alternatively, replace <JAVA_HOME> by the full path to the JRE folder in the JIRA installation folder.

However, my recommendation if you want to enable SSL is to rather use a reverse proxy like Apache or Nginx to manage the SSL termination.

By using a reverse proxy to handle the SSL termination you allow the JVM to focus purely on running JIRA and not have the overhead of handling the encryption for each connection as well.

Also, handling the SSL configuration in Apache or Nginx is much simpler than trying to deal with it in Tomcat/Java.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published yesterday in Statuspage

194 years of downtime: looking back on incident data from 2018

Statuspage customers logged more than 194 years of collective incidents in 2018. That’s a whopping 87% increase from the  104 years logged in 2017 , and we aren’t even through December yet....

60 views 1 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you