Setting up JAVA_HOME system variable from embedded JIRA JRE

cubeen May 10, 2017

Following Running JIRA applications over SSL or HTTPS which requires java installed on your system.

I am running JIRA with embedded JRE already which is clearly not recognised by OS (Ubuntu).

As per the confluence page...

"ensure the <JAVA_HOME> variable is pointing to the same version of Java that JIRA uses."

Is it possible to set <JAVA_HOME) variable to embedded JRE (if so, how to do it pls) or do I have to install new system-wide JRE separately?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

You can set the JAVA_HOME variable to the included JRE before running the commands. Alternatively, replace <JAVA_HOME> by the full path to the JRE folder in the JIRA installation folder.

However, my recommendation if you want to enable SSL is to rather use a reverse proxy like Apache or Nginx to manage the SSL termination.

By using a reverse proxy to handle the SSL termination you allow the JVM to focus purely on running JIRA and not have the overhead of handling the encryption for each connection as well.

Also, handling the SSL configuration in Apache or Nginx is much simpler than trying to deal with it in Tomcat/Java.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events