Select issues for a particular user with all sub-tasks

I would like to construct the following query:

I would like to see all issues of the type Story or Task assigned to a particular user with all their sub-tasks - regardless of their assignment. I also want to exclude from this query sub-tasks assigned to this user but belonging to Stories or Tasks assigned to another user

Use case: in my iteration planning I may have development stories with sub-tasks assigned to Development and QA which I want to see in one filter. At the same time I may have Documentation stories with review sub-tasks assigned to Development which I want to see in a separate filter

Is there any way to construct such a filter? I can see that there is Parent field for sub-tasks which potentially can be used for this purpose, but this may necessitate nested queries - not sure if it is feasible.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

JQL Tricks Plugin has a parent method which can be used for this. The JQL will be something like:

((issuetype = Story or issuetype = Task) AND assignee=username) OR issue in parent("(issuetype = Story or issuetype = Task) AND assignee=username")

You can add more AND / OR conditions to make it more complex!

You can also use a combination of the following 2 functions from the free Craftforge JQL Functions Plugin :

issue in/not in subtaskIssuesFromFilter ("filter name or its id")- finds all parents of subtasks found by specified saved filter

issue in/not in subtaskIssuesFromQuery("JQL query") - finds all parents of subtasks found by specified specified query

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Off-topic

Get to know our Atlassian User Group Leaders from Bengaluru, India

Meet @Dinesh Dhinakaran, @Vishnu Vasudeva, @Rajeev Verma, and Jamshid Nalakath: Our extraordinary AUG leaders from Bengaluru, India. These four work together to strengthen the bonds of their local co...

146 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you