Searching an issue which matches exactly the given words.

I was searching some issues in JIRA by applying a filter and I provided three words in the Query field lets say that ( JIRA is good).

When I hit search, I am getting result based on all the words like the Summary conatining only JIRA is also coming in search result and Summary containing only good is also coming in search result, but what I want is the search result which contains only those with Summary containing all of the above three words in combination.

According to me, Summary should contain only search result with above three words at any place any order

What query should I apply to achieve this result.

3 answers

Grigory's response gave me another thought on how to make it work. Please try

summary ~ "\"Jira is good\""

The escaped inner quotes contains the search term while the outer quotes deals with the navigator syntax.

See if this works for you.

summary ~ JIRA AND summary ~ is AND summary ~ good

You probably need double quotes around the word is since is an operator as well.

Oh, the default search indices has an ignore word list, so the word "is" may not match.

summary ~ "JIRA is good"

As Norman said, you have to use double quotes to search exact phrase.

Does that actually work for you? I have tried it out since version 4.4 (when I started to use JIRA)and it generates results more like field contains word1 or field contains word2 or field contains word3 which is the behavior that Mohit was complaining about.

The reason for questiong, is because maybe there is an option that people can turn on.

My bad - I was wrong. According docs you have to use fuzzy search to get exact match like this:

summary ~ "\"JIRA is good\""

Double quotes inside query have to be escaped.

Sorry for incorrect answer at first.

Hope, this helps.

Dante Di I'm New Here Nov 03, 2017

This doesn't work. Try a two-word phrase with a freshly created issue. I'm getting hundreds of results when I should only be getting 1.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

309 views 38 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot