Restore seems to hang after 20 minutes - JIRA 5.1.2

Kathleen Buckley August 28, 2012

Backed up data from JIRA 5.1 and tried to restore it to 5.1.2. Successfully did this a week ago. Just trying to refresh the data. The restore has been running for 1-1/2 hours. Normally the restore takes about 30 minutes. Below are the last four lines in the stdout file. It has been stuck on 20% for over an hour. The 'elapsed' time is still ticking away, but other than that it looks like it's hung.

Any suggestions on what's going on or if it is hung, how to proceed?

2012-08-28 17:03:17,531 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO kate 1023x53x1 16wxkqr 10.32.86.35 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Importing data is 20% complete...

2012-08-28 17:03:17,562 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO kate 1023x53x1 16wxkqr 10.32.86.35 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] XML successfully parsed.

2012-08-28 17:03:23,656 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO kate 1023x53x1 16wxkqr 10.32.86.35 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService] Removing all entries from the database.

Cleaning up unclosed ZipFile for archive C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA_512\import\2012-Aug-28--1508.zip

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kathleen Buckley September 26, 2012

I finally added more disk space and memory and upgraded to 5.1.4. The problem is gone. Not sure if it was the disk space, memory, or the new install. Oh well...

0 votes
Theodore Tzidamis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

One crazy idea on my side: Since this gets stuck in

Cleaning up unclosed ZipFile for archive C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA_512\import\2012-Aug-28--1508.zip

can you check that file, please? I mean 2012-Aug-28--1508.zip.

In your shoes I'd move it outside $JIRA_HOME (or just delete it if it is not needed) and try the upgrade again.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2012

I thought I'd mention the plugin, just to rule it out as a possible candidate. It's not bundled into 5.1

0 votes

When I get back to the office I'll monitor the disk space. We do not have subversion plugin installed (unless it's a system plugin with 5.1.2).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2012

The disk space should be quite easy to monitor actually - most of the time, if you blow the disk space out, the import (and Jira in general) will litter the log with "can't read/open file" type messages. Sometimes it won't be too quick to do it, when the log is on a full disk, but generally one line of log is much smaller than the file it's failed to open, and after the file open fails, there's still enough space left. I suspect you'd be seeing other problems too, including disk IO at either "thrashing to death" or "no activity because I can't fit it in"

If it's memory, it's a totally different kettle of fish - I've seen it hang silently on memory errors, which is frustratingly useless, or thrash the swap space on a disk.

One very quick thought - do you have the subversion plugin installed? It's usually fine, but I've seen it stall upgrades before. Removing it, reimporting and then reinstalling it is ok.

0 votes

Thanks Nic. I didn't think my memory or disk space was the problem since it hasn't changed in a week and I didn't have any problems restoring the data a week ago, but I'll look into increasing both the memory and the disk space as it's a Virtual Machine and fairly easy to increase both. Of course getting the VM Admin to give me more mem/space is another thing.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

This all still looks ok. Make sure there is enough disk space and enough memory. It gets very slow if the instance is low on memory. If you still find problems, maybe you can post the full log?

Thanks. I'll try to be patient. I just upped the JIRA memory yesterday to 768MB (from 512) since it has over 5000 issues. It's running on a VM machine and I can ask them to up that memory tomorrow. Not a lot of disk space (about 10% free) but should be enough. All three of my jira servers usually only have about 10% free and seem to work ok with that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2012

For what it's worth, I wouldn't even try to run Jira in less than a Gb of memory. Although I'd expect it to be ok-ish with 768Mb and only 5000 issues

Suggest an answer