Request Entity Too Large

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource
/jira/plugins/servlet/gadgets/ifr
does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

You need to identify what gadget is doing this and then

1) check that it's a valid gadget. If you've not installed any custom plugins that provide gadgets, then you are fine, but if you have, then it may be a bug in the settings or code for that gadget (the off-the-shelf ones may well have bugs, but a bug causing this problem wouldn't have made it to release)

2) Check what the settings for the gadget are and see if they're generating too much data.

The "ifr" implies a filter result to me, but I can't be 100% sure. However, if it is, then it's possible for a user to set up a gadget with loads of columns and a very large filter (especially if you've increased the limits on searching), and that could be overloading the dataset. If that is the case, they need a smaller filter or less details.

Your log file is likely to be VERY helpful in tracking this one down - have a read of that first.

I found this in JIRA knowledge base, you might want to change Apache settings to increase the allowed request body limit for the proxy

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Attaching+a+File+Results+in+Request+Entity+Too+Large

I am getting this message on a Dashboard. Can someone help me on this?

This might be individual browser settings related also. I clicked inside a standard gadget chart on machine A, B using FF10, IE8.

Machine A - IE 8, got request entity too large. FF, no problem

Machine B - IE 8, no problem. FF, no problem.

I also have a machine C - IE 8 disaply "request entity too large" right inside all gadgets.

In cases where I expereince this issue, I see the long query string with 413 error in apache access log.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

72 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you