Question for Nic Brough

DeniseThompson397 July 26, 2014

Hi Nic, I read your response regarding access splitting it up into Project and Admin types. I have access to one Project and I can only add people to roles, I can't see groups, I can see what permissions are set. I'm on the business side and would like to have more control eg. " It's actually quite easy to write things like new field types and workflow functions."My question is, don't I have to log in as an admin to be able to implement any code? I have fished around Jira doing whatever I can but I can't see a way to write and implement a new field type, I don't know where to start but would love to learn if I could. We don't get any jira support where I am, it's just been set up and we are moreorless left to our own devices with the current configuration. ...but I use jira all the time and want to be able to do more. Denise

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2014

Groups are set up and maintained by administrators, and you should be able to add groups into roles as well - right hand column next to where you add in users.

You are correct about new code - only administrators can install it.

There are a load of options when you talk about writing code. New field types are implemented with plugins, but you can use some existing plugins to hold code when they're flexible enough. The "script runner" plugin is by far the best option here - you can write derived fields, listeners, all sorts of stuff, without needing to create the whole plugin framework.

DeniseThompson397 July 27, 2014

Hi Nic,

Yes I know I can add groups into roles, however, I can't see who is in what group or even a full list of what groups exist so it's pointless.

We don't have any plugins installed in our system as far as I am aware. If we do have that script runner plugin where would I find that?

Denise

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2014

Ok, so how are you maintaining the groups? You'll need to go in there to find out what the memberships are.

For the script runner, just go into "addons" and look in the marketplace for it. You haven't mentioned whther you're on OnDemand/Cloud though - you can't get script runner for that.

DeniseThompson397 July 27, 2014

Hi Nic, No I'm not managing groups, I'm a user, I can't even see what groups are set up. The help desk people maintain groups. We are using Jira (I think it's on demand) it's through a firewall any way. I'll have a look for addons, I'm pretty sure we don't have that either. Thanks for your help though. I think that actually answers my questions. As a user I don't think I can do anything much. Bit frustrating!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2014

Ah, ok. I think a lot of this needs to go back to your administators then. They'll be able to help you with groups and addons. (If you're using "ondemand", you can usually tell by the url - if you're using jira on something like mycompany.atlassian.net, it's ondemand)

Suggest an answer