Project Board and time estimates

Bill Langton August 22, 2013

After browsing through previously posted questions I'm still left with the following problem:

I've created a project board that displays all tasks for an Epic. Most of the tasks have subtasks. My preference is that all time estimates are allocated to the subtasks leaving the parent with no work of its own.

However, the subtask estimates are not rolling up to the parent tasks in the Plan, Work, or Report tabs.

If i leave the parent original estimate empty, the parent tasks appear as unestimated.

If i enter a value, the subtasks are not added in.

In configuration I've set the Estimation Stat to Original Estimate.

Time Tracking appears to be enabled.

What setting am I missing?

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2013
Bill Langton August 26, 2013

I do not understand how that can be considered as correct, or even useful behavior. In fact, the numbers on the project board are worse than useless.

It's frustrating (and disappointing) that we have invested heavily in this technology and now it seems it can't be used for basic project managment.

This seems to be the focal-point JIRA Issue relating to this topic:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6007

Sadly, a number of other similar issues have been closed as "Will Not Fix".

0 votes
Uday Kumar November 24, 2013

@Bill - I agree with what you say. But it is easier option than evaluating other tools.

0 votes
Bill Langton November 24, 2013

@Uday - Custom development with OnDemand? Even if I had a self-hosted version of Atlassian and Jira, I would not be eager to make a custom modification to such basic functionality. I don't know the customization model for these products but the thought of migrating the custom change into every future release holds no appeal whatsoever.

0 votes
Uday Kumar November 24, 2013

Hi Steve,

Probably a custom development would solve the problem rather than evaluating other enterprise solution.

0 votes
steve laflen November 20, 2013

wow. pretty dissapointing that this no longer works as it used to. I think we'll be looking into other 20K enterprise solutions I guess. This most basic of workflows that we've been trained to use are no longer working. Sub-Tasks displayedd in Classic fix version mode. Now time estimates do not role up.

0 votes
Ram Muthiah August 23, 2013

In my configuration, I have estimation based on story points. However, if you enable "remaining estimate and time spent" option for "time tracking" under estimation tab, you should be able to see time estimates as well in Work tab and in burndown chart.

Plan tab shows the total estimates in terms of story points. Plan tab does not show sub-tasks. Only work tab would show sub-tasks.

We do not estimate time for user story, if all sub-tasks under user story are estimated in hours. Total time estimates are not shown in user story in plan tab if the user story has sub-tasks aka technical tasks. When you view the user story in JIRA in full-view, you will see accumulated time estimate for user story. This estimate is the sum of all sub-tasks for that user story.

Bill Langton August 23, 2013

I've tried the "remaining estimate and time spent" option with no difference.

The Epic Summary, the Sprint Summary, and the Epic Report all report Original Estimates without subtask data. This is seriously misleading.

Opening each task in the full view does display subtask estimate/actual info, so no problems there.

Suggest an answer