Problem with adding external users from outside company and restricting access to selected projects only

Maciej BÄ k January 15, 2013

Hi!

I have come to a difficulty with JIRA when I am about to add an external developer from outisde my company to some JIRA projects.

Let's say that my company is A and his company is B.

My Company A has 10 projects in JIRA. And I have to add an external developer, so that he can see ONLY "project number 1". He cannot see other projects.

I tried this first with my another email and "test" user to see what access he gets after logging to JIRA.

So:

1. So in JIRA I create user "test".

2. By default he is added to "users" and "developers" groups. But this groups in our company have default access to all of the projects.

3. So I remove "test" from groups "users" and "developers" and create separate group for his company called "companyB".

4. In the project in which I want "test" user to participate, I give assign the roles of the user in the project and developer to the "companyB" group (I could also give these roles to "test" user only, right?)

5. After that I try to log in with "test" user and it just doesn't work. Why?????

6. If I add the "test" user the "users" group, the he can log in, but ... it gives him access to all the projects, which is not what I ment!

So therefore I cannot find the way for the external coworker to gim him account in my JIRA and limit his access to selected projects only.

What do you suggest? Maybe I miss something? This is cruicial to add external coworkers and limiting their access only to the stuff that they work on.

Kind regards,

Maciek

Warsaw, Poland

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2013

Hi Maciek,

You are on the right track! removing the user from the "develoeprs" and "users" group to not let him see all the other projects is great.
The reason why the user after this is not able to login is in the global permission scheme. There you define who may login. By default all the user in the "users" group have the "Jira users" permission on the system.

If you add the group "companyB" to this permission then all should be ok. Could you give this a try?

Cheers,
Bas

Maciej BÄ k January 15, 2013

It works! You saved my soul ;-)

Thanks!

Maciej

0 votes
Taylor Smith September 21, 2013

Found this and it saved me a TON of time.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer