I have come to a difficulty with JIRA when I am about to add an external developer from outisde my company to some JIRA projects.
Let's say that my company is A and his company is B.
My Company A has 10 projects in JIRA. And I have to add an external developer, so that he can see ONLY "project number 1". He cannot see other projects.
I tried this first with my another email and "test" user to see what access he gets after logging to JIRA.
1. So in JIRA I create user "test".
2. By default he is added to "users" and "developers" groups. But this groups in our company have default access to all of the projects.
3. So I remove "test" from groups "users" and "developers" and create separate group for his company called "companyB".
4. In the project in which I want "test" user to participate, I give assign the roles of the user in the project and developer to the "companyB" group (I could also give these roles to "test" user only, right?)
5. After that I try to log in with "test" user and it just doesn't work. Why?????
6. If I add the "test" user the "users" group, the he can log in, but ... it gives him access to all the projects, which is not what I ment!
So therefore I cannot find the way for the external coworker to gim him account in my JIRA and limit his access to selected projects only.
What do you suggest? Maybe I miss something? This is cruicial to add external coworkers and limiting their access only to the stuff that they work on.
You are on the right track! removing the user from the "develoeprs" and "users" group to not let him see all the other projects is great.
The reason why the user after this is not able to login is in the global permission scheme. There you define who may login. By default all the user in the "users" group have the "Jira users" permission on the system.
If you add the group "companyB" to this permission then all should be ok. Could you give this a try?
We're looking for participants for another workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sh...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs