Password reset not working

Vivek Hungund March 12, 2012

Hi,

One of our users is having trouble logging in to Jira. She has not had any issues until today. Whether she uses the "Can't access your account?" link or whether I reset it for her, she can't log in. I have also checked that she has access to the Jira application (as well as Confluence) per the response to a similar question. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

4 answers

2 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2012

Vivek,

Has there been a change to the Global Permission JIRA Users that lets people login to JIRA? Are the users taht are being created being added to the group that has the JIRA Users Global Permission? Maybe have a look at that next?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions

JIRA Users

Permission to log in to JIRA.
(warning) The number of users that count towards your JIRA license is the sum of all users (including users in groups) that have this permission. If you want to reduce this count, see How do I reduce my user count in JIRA.
(info) Granting the JIRA Users permission to a group results in all newly created users being automatically added to that group. The exception to this are groups that also have either the JIRA System Administrators or JIRA Administrators permissions, since JIRA prevents groups with these administrative-level global permissions from being granted the JIRA Users permission. Furthermore, it would be unwise to automatically grant these administrative-level global permissions to all new users.

We're using OnDemand, so I believe I cannot access the global permissions (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand). But in the User Management ->Application Access page, I see that she does have Jira (and Confluence) access. We also are not over our limit for the number of users.

0 votes
Corban Borrie April 28, 2020

I read answers based on this discussion. For me, clearing cookies and cache did not work. Actually, the issue for me was the correct password could be used in IE11 and Firefox to get into my usual access. However in Chrome, an error popped in my browser suggesting there was an issue validating my credentials. Even if I changed my password fresh, the browser seemed to have issues authenticating.

My solution was to remove Chrome entirely from the PC and try again once reinstalled fresh from Chrome's download page. It doesn't help that my work PC has the browser settings moderated by our Infrustructure team. Regardless, reinstalling Chrome did allow me to log back in again.

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2012

Hi Vivek,

To be honest, I'm not clear on the underpinnings of Atlassian On Demand. If you Global Permissions aren't configurable, then that's likely not the issue. I'd open a support ticket and see if you can get some help directly, if you haven't gotten this working already.

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2012

I have seen this problem in companies that have more than one email per user. Lets say that your company has a email as: firstname.lastname@company.com, and also has a email firstinitial.lastname@company.com. You need to make sure that you are using the right email in JIRA (or confluence), otherwise it will not resolve properly and emails will not get sent correctly. The way that I verify the adderss, is go into outlook, bring up the properties, for the particular user. when you are looking at the properties, you will see a bunch of smtp. The one that is displayed as SMTP, is the one that you need to use in JIRA

Does your company use more than one email per user?

No, we do not use multiple emails per user. Each user is tied to a single email address. My colleague does receive a password reset email, however it doesn't let her log in after she follows the directions.

Further, I created a temporary user for my colleague (using the same email address as her permanent account), and she is also unable to login using this temporary account.

Suggest an answer