Parent issue needs to close once sub task are closed

Lakshmi Kiran Ponnapalli February 26, 2013

Hello,

I have issue with post function. I want to close parent issue automatically once all sub-task are closed. i am using following post function but its not working as expected.

If you already know workaround please share with us.

Add a new post function to the unconditional result of the transition.

Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
— THEN
Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
— THEN
Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
— THEN
Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
— THEN
Fire a Issue Closed event that can be processed by the listeners.
Edit
— THEN
Transition Closed will be triggered on the issue's parent issue.
Edit | Move Up | Delete

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hi Lakshmi,

Use the script runner plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

It has a built in script to close the parent task when all sub-tasks are resolved.

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-Transitionparentwhenallsubtasksareresolved

Thank you

Bhushan

Lakshmi Kiran Ponnapalli March 18, 2013

Hello ...

it still not working for me. I created it on sub-task worflow and i selected the correct taransaction id on that. but still its failing. i am not seeing anything happening over there

thanks

Lakshmi

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

Whatever transition you define for the parent needs to be valid...

Also check that you published the subtask workflow

If it is can you set the logging to debug for com.onresolve.jira.groovy and retry, and check the logs.

Lakshmi Kiran Ponnapalli March 27, 2013

Found the solution

We need to fire event for Issue Resolved / Issue Closed based on action you take

2 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to transition parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example transitions sub-tasks to "In Progress", but you could easily change this to "Closed")

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Deleted user May 9, 2020

ciao @andreas 

I found this discussion because I'm looking for a solution to a similar problem. I'll explain. I have this structure: issuetype Project that can have one or more issuetype Sub-Project connected with the relationship "is project of" (if I look at the issue Sub-Project) or is "under project of" if I look at the parent issue, say, that Project that has one or more sub-projects linked precisely.

Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 08.12.34.png

Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 08.17.28.png

I want to use automation so that every time a status change event is captured to "done" I check if the issue that has changed is a sub-project issue and then I want to go back to its parent issue, the project issue, and then check if all the sub-project issues related to the project issue are in done status.

I hope I was able to explain clearly. I can't build this query with automation for Jira and JQL (p.s. if needed I also have Script Runner, but I can use it less well than automation for Jira).

Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 09.24.09.png

0 votes
Mansoor Ahmed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 28, 2015

how to bulk change the status of the issues from reject to closed using groovy.Please help

0 votes
Alok kumar Singh May 26, 2013

Hi , I tried this functionality, it's working on my test instance but it's not working on the production server. I tried checking the logs but could not find anything usefull.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2013

Hi Lakshmi,

In addition to the script runner plugin, it could also be possible by using the 'JIRA Misc Workflow Extension' plugin.

You can find further details on this here - https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMWE/JIRA+Misc+Workflow+Extensions+Documentation;jsessionid=221BF81F38EABBAC81D20EED413F4D66#JIRAMiscWorkflowExtensionsDocumentation-10-TransitionParentIssue(newin2.1)

Cheers,

Joe

Lakshmi Kiran Ponnapalli February 27, 2013

Hello Friend,

I tried "Transition Parent Issue" in subtask workflow when i close transaction happening . but I am getting following error message in front end

"The JIRA server was contacted but has returned an error response. We are unsure of the result of this operation.

Close this dialog and press refresh in your browser"

is there any area i need to check

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

Look at the atlassian-jira.log file and see what error it reports!

Lakshmi Kiran Ponnapalli March 8, 2013

Hi,

i used script plugin and impleted the chagnes in sub-ticket workflow. the chagnes are not reflecting

could you please help me to fix the issue

thanks

lakshmi

Suggest an answer