Not able to browse project after changing project P-KEY

suryavani bhallamudi August 5, 2012

Can you help i am not able to browse project after changing project pkey.

11 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2012

How did you change the key?

If you did it in the database, you've probably broken your Jira completely and may need to restore from the backup you took before doing it.

But i am able to view all the tickets and create all the tickets

is there a way to change the url to see summary

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2012

No idea, you have not answered the question

Before we can give you any useful help, we need you to answer the question I asked and tell us how you changed the key. (And seriously, if you did it in the database, then make sure you have your backup ready for restoration)

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2012

@Nic

Told you about that FAQ. Edit: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-658

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2012

Not directly.

There is a whole batch of SQL you can execute to change the project key, but you have to do it all offline, with backups, reindexing, integrity checks etc. You need to be immensely careful what you change to catch everything - off the top of my head (I know there's more than this), issues, project table, project custom keys, workflows, filters, comments, descriptions, raw text fields...

The standard way to change a project key is to create the new project, and then move any issues you want to use into it. That's completely supported and won't trash your system.

0 votes

Ok Thanks i shall revert back my changes as per the comments, But is there a way to change the project key?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2012

Make sure you take Jira offline while you change the data back.

When you've done this, I'd strongly recommend re-indexing the system immediately after you restart it, and then running the integrity checker afterwards.

If you're lucky, you won't have too much damage and those two steps will leave your system stable and working.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2012

What you got to loose, now ? Yes.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2012

If no modifications were done, yes. If not, you may loose some info. As a rule of thumb, ALWAYS do a backup when you decide to dirty up your fingers and do things by hand. And test the modifications on a test system, don't do it directly in the production one.

0 votes

Plz let me know what can i do now

0 votes

Yes i have changed in Data base but i dont have backup now. Plz let me know any work around or any solution.

0 votes

Only Project P-KEY was changed no other modifications done so if i revert back the update statement executed will that work?

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2012

Change it back or restore from backup, Nic already told you that. Not knowing what you do has always a price.

0 votes

would it be fine if i change the pkey back to the original?

Suggest an answer