This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with search results
Since the update to 7.3.0, we're missing the "Export to Excel" menu item. Do we have to enable it somewhere somehow?
I was hoping that the answer at the bottom of this page would help https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-excel-export-of-issues-no-longer-opens-correctly-838403242.html
It does not. (Not for me, anyway.)
Thanks for the link, I need to test this.
But why does the documentation still talk about the Excel export for 7.3.0 if it has been disabled since 7.2 already? Seems like a cut&paste error of the JIRA documentation team
And regarding the link you shared. It says at the bottom " we've introduced a more robust, flexible exporter in the CSV export". How in the world is this CSV export mor flexible?!? When I export my search results, I have multiple commas in the title, description, error message, time protocol and comment fields. That screws up the whole file completely and renders it useless.
Is it possible to configure the CSV export somehow so that the export is usable again? Or am I using this feature incorrectly?
Sure. I've constructed an example that's close to a real world example.
While doing so, I noticed that Excel doesn't recognize the comma separation at first. But if you force the comma separator on it, the import works. So far, so good. Unless, there are newlines, e.g. in the description. In that case, that issue is torn into multiple lines:
Therefore, my original claim stands: the CSV export is either unusable or I'm doing something wrong.
Here's the original file I used as Excel import:
further tests showed that this might be a problem of Excel rather of JIRA/Atlassian. I've tried PlanMaker Viewer and it imports the CSV correctly. So does OpenOffice. Only Excel can't handle a mix of LFs and CRs/LFs (the special non-viewable characters that tell a word processor to break a line).
Either way, the old Excel export worked better with Excel. CSV might be more flexible but has its own problems when it comes to Excel. I suspect, though, that Atlassian can't do anything about it.
My current workaround is as follows:
That way I can work with the file again as intended. Too bad it adds another step and another program, but it beats having to add the data manually each week to my Excel report
[Note: So it was my turn for Friday Fun and sadly I was sick thanks to rubbish sinus infection... so apologies to most of Europe and Asia for the delayed post. However, I finally got out of bed for t...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs